1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Four kwaiken - the same, only different

Matthew Gregory Jul 5, 2018

1. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I don't normally work in batches, and I'm really not sure what I was thinking when I chose to make this bunch when I started, but I profiled them out a couple months back and only decided to proceed with them after Blade Show. Despite being the same basic profile, and all of .220" thick Crucible CPM-S60v, I wanted them to all sort of head in different, subtle directions.

As stated, they're all the same steel, and same thickness, as well as being just shy of 9" long, with 4" blades and 4-3/8" handles behind their turk's head knots. All also have skeletonized and tapered tangs.

The first is what I would want if I were intending to carry this every single day - it's slim and light, featuring simple black rayskin under the wrap and weighing in at 5-1/4 ounces, and has a long, deep swedge compared to the rest:

[​IMG]

Next up is similar in weight, being a mere 1/8 ounce heavier, but features gorgeous Koa. My photo, unfortunately, doesn't capture the staggering chatoyance that peeks out under the resin-soaked wrap:

[​IMG]

The third is a chunkier (6-3/8b ounces) iteration, and has thick, contoured carbon fiber scales that are held in place with hidden pins, and also has carbon fiber lace as well as a carbon fiber turk's head knot:

[​IMG]

Finally, my personal favorite of the bunch - gorgeous contoured olivewood with light figure in it, peeking out under the wrap, and weighing 5-7/8 ounces. The light, creamy tones of the wood have a wonderful warmth and contrast that just oozes class, to me.

[​IMG]

These are likely the last of this style for me, if not for forever, certainly for a while. Time to move on, methinks.

Thanks for looking!

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade RTFM JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I guess working in batches is more efficient, but maybe less interesting for a maker.

Not a bad one in the bunch.

3. desmodus

desmodus puta de corazón frío Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Definitely a nice series.

Like a four seasons theme.

Matthew Gregory likes this.