1. If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Ernest Emerson BALISONG knifes? 2017-2018....

Skatterbrain May 14, 2017

1. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

I think all Emerson's seem to be over priced, and a batch of balis will most indefinitely be more expensive then a companies regular builds.. So I would weigh in as over priced.

Not being a Emerson fan still doesn't out weigh my support for new balis to the market and bigger companies stepping out of there safe zone to do it.

But why a wave on the blade?

skyblue likes this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus

All before breakfast and love you too, Smoochies :scaryclown:

Now, that wave feature probably styling to match the "look" of his product/s etc.

More of a concern is the grind.

He's known for chisel grinds , anyone see the other side of the blade ?

Winter likes this.
  3. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member

they lok like they have chisel grind

4. halo2304

halo2304 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yeah, I can see that shit being ground off right fuckin' quick! I would have expected the wave to be integrated by the pivots, similar to the HOM blades.

5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member

why grind it off?
    It`s pretty unique
    ...plus if you ever get in a knife fight you can use it s a blade catcher:rockon2:

halo2304 likes this.
  6. chintofong

chintofong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Judging from the picture.....I think the blade length is around 3 3/4 inches long. Of course I might be wrong though...just my 2 cents

7. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Little member JDBA Official Member

RHK needs to get his ass in gear and jump on the Bali wagon too. I would be really excited to see a Bowie Bali from RHK. I'm not too jacked up these Emerson's though, at least not from a flipping standpoint but if I was an Emerson guy I'd be pretty pumped. Pretty cool though, looks like a pretty good variety of blade styles....

8. halo2304

halo2304 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

To quote a (de)motivational poster "Just because you're unique, doesn't mean you're useful." If the wave was ground a little deeper, it might function as a bottle opener. As it appears now, I think it's a little too shallow. Of course, it's just my opinion based on a picture.
    As others have said, I'm glad other companies are exploring the balisong world. I'll reserve final judgement till after I actually get hands-on with one. Until then, I'll attempt to be hopefully optimistic.

9. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

Rick has already made bali's...

Picture credit to Duane at EDC Knives
    orig.jpg

XtraMedium, Billy_Goat, Linos and 2 others like this.
  10. Dustygmt

Whaaat?

11. Dustygmt

The RHK Bali looks is very nice. It would be cool if he did a production ti liner Bali with his standard g10 with an array of blade profiles and color choices. He could probably still figure out how to incorporate the standoffs and scale screws of the XM line and make a really cool production Bali. If he made 1000 he'd sell 1000. Quick.

Sorry for the attempted thread jack... as you were.

12. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Clearly it's not a wave. It's a bottle opener.

13. Skatterbrain

Skatterbrain Little Member

Yeah no problem , thanks for the reply . Yeah I'm really glad he's finally got pictures of the blade he making but , kinda upset with the Wave being on a Balisong. But still looking forward to the whole over all look

14. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

The basic blade style is fine. The wave: very easy to grind off. I may just pick one up to do the mod.

15. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

People out here tryin to grind off the wave already. Literally only reason I would buy one.

However, if it has a chisel grind as he is known for, my money stays with me where it belongs.

16. Skatterbrain

Skatterbrain Little Member

Yeah I definitely agree with some of you . NOW after seeing the blades and the Ermerson wave on the Emerson Balisong blades . I'm definitely not stoked about that as a flipper. BUT I'm not jumping to a conclusion just yet either, the knife even with the Wave may still be able to be Manipulated with the Wave on it . I'd probably say it would depend on how long the wave is . It may not even get in the way , but it may need some getting used too , because of the angle . But even when doing BT8B, Chaplins, Hell bent Ect. Your really only using a small area of the blades spine in order to successfully preform those Tricks. So as I said it'd probably matter how long the wave is & weather or not when doing those Manipulation if the edge of the wave will catch your finger or slide off the wave . If a MR.Emerson took that into account , then he would of done some research and found out how much surface area you really need to successfully perform those manipulations with a little extra room added. If not then it's going to catch the finger or slide over it & isn't really gonna be good for flipping , unless Modded & ground off . Or just used as an EDC. Or flippers may be surprised and come to find out with those tricks the wave may actually help . idk just yet but as a balisong collector as of right now I'm not liking the way the wave looks on balisong "as of right now" " I'll have to see " , but by just seeing the blades , I'm not really going to make any assumptions As of right now until I see the whole knife & get my hands on it & get a proper opinion. but we'll see soon . regardless Weather I can flip it or not , it's still going to be a nice addition to my Balisong collection....

I appreciate everyone who's responded to this post & givin there thoughts & opinions ! Thank you !

Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 7:44 AM
  17. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus

Pretty sure Mr E, could give two shits about "tricks"

A Balisong is a knife before it was a toy in flippers hands and always will be.

VashHash and Linos like this.
  18. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

What the hell kind of question is that - it's an Emerson, of course it's going to be overpriced.

It'll probably be half ground with unbeveled un deburred edges in rough BLACK g10 and maybe even steel liners if we're lucky...cause ya know "hard use" grumble grumble "tactical". Maybe he'll have some hand rubbed "customs" you can pay top dollar for at Blade.

Emerson Knives when cold steel just isn't expensive enough for your taste!

Linos and Glenn like this.