1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Early Western Bowie

kwackster Jul 19, 2017

1. kwackster

kwackster Huge member

One of my recent finds, an early Western Bowie from around 1965:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. kwackster

kwackster Huge member

Some more pics:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. kwackster

kwackster Huge member

The knife as it looks at the moment.
    Reground the already convex blade but now to a zero edge of about 30 degrees inclusive & contoured the handle.
    Still have to work on the swedge & guard and restitch the sheath.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. kwackster

kwackster Huge member

Since the brass guard was a bit loose, i'm experimenting to find out if shimming it with a few small pieces of brass sheet is a viable option.
    While it works very well to immobilize the guard 100 % even during maximum force chopping (tested the knife again in the woods yesterday), the shims need to be a bit smaller to be totally invisible.

The 1095 Cro-Van blade steel also holds up well; after taking down several thin trees / thick saplings (think upper arm size) the edge can still shave the hair from my leg.
    And this is with a 400 grit wet & dry SiC finish deburred with 1.0 micron diamond compound on MDF.

5. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I see knives like this all the time at the gun and knife shows , should make a project out of one of them .Thanks for sharing

6. teturiko

teturiko Tiny Member

Quite the knife you got there, thanks for showing it off!

7. kwackster

kwackster Huge member

Immobilized the guard with two narrow shards of brass sheet (one on each side), which were lightly tapped all the way to the tang using a small hammer & small section of a snap-off blade which i ground blunt & square.
    The larger piece of brass sheet in the pictures is what was left after i used a pair of scissors to cut the two shards from, each one about a millimeter wide.
    Also rounded the edges on the brass guard and polished it a bit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Kelper likes this.