1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Laptop

crogers Jul 6, 2017

1. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

My laptop just up and died. One minute it was working fine, then, the next morning... nothing! Nada! Won't boot or anything. Appears that the power supply may have croaked. Tried it plugged into AC with and without the battery installed. Nothing works.

Most of the info was backed up, but I have a few docs and pics that I hadn't backed up in a while. I'd like to get that back and onto my desktop hard drive.

Anybody got any idea how to recover info from the hard drive of a dead laptop computer?

I'm hoping that I can somehow hook the hard-drive up with a USB cable or something. Any ideas on that?

If it'll help, it's a Toshiba Satellite L75D about 3 years old. I was running Windows 10.

Since I've retired, I really don't need it anymore, so if I have to destroy it, so be it.

Any help?

Kelper and begreen61 like this.
  2. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

poor lil' laptop with you bangin on it ...

:angel:

kidding ... :bwah:

Kelper, crogers and begreen61 like this.
  3. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Sorry to hear that when my main computer shit to bed that was it, I lost 10 years of info and memories in the photo section hope you can rig something up to save your data. Good luck friend.

Kelper and crogers like this.
  4. crogers

I NEVAR banged my laptop. :madaddy:

Although, I did threaten to shoot it and/or throw it against/through the wall a couple times!

begreen61, Kelper and ded i like this.
  5. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Bring it to a local computer shop!

Kelper likes this.
  6. crogers

I may have to. I was trying to not :wallet:.

Kelper likes this.
  7. markandrex

markandrex Thunderstruck Brigade Member

8. crogers

9. crogers

HALLELUJAH!! It WORKED!!

It was a PITA, butt* I got it. I had to restart my computer using the laptop's HD, then copy my files to a new folder that I would be able to find on the desktop HD, then move the mofos to the appropriate locations. Took fucking forever! USB 3.0 may be faster, butt* damn it's still slow!

Now, off to format the laptop HD to use for a BACK UP drive. Maybe I can avoid this shit in the future!

Thanks again markandrex!

Surprisingly, I most missed my music! I'm rocking now! [​IMG] :metaldude:

ded i and begreen61 like this.
  10. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Got to give you credit Chris , You solved your problem with a little help and a lot of work, Me ,,,,Me and electronic do not work well together .Would have said fuck it ,and had a new one in 24 hours .and lose everything on the old one ,, and have done this 4 times that I remember. I just don't have the patience for it .I can build you a house and fix anything in it but electronics ,I'm dumber than a box of rocks,, ,,I say Job well done ,Man.........................

crogers and ded i like this.
  11. crogers

I've done it that way before too, several times! I almost wish I had those old computers back so I could recover what was on those hard-drives! Butt*, like my mom sez, "Wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one get full first!"

Moms, ya gotta love 'em! :bwah:

begreen61 likes this.
  12. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Good job.

I would have had to ask my 5 year old Grandkids.....

begreen61 and crogers like this.
  13. crogers

I don't happen to know any 5 year old kids that I could have called this early in the morning.

I would've called my nephew, butt* he don't get up until 2 or 3!:sleepy:

It's all on the internetz! Just hadda use my Google-fu blackbelt! [​IMG]

14. hickory

hickory JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Glad you got it taken care of. Those HDD adapters are the shit.

crogers and Kelper like this.