1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese, Taiwanese knives?

TheRaven Dec 26, 2016

1. TheRaven

TheRaven Huge member

How does everyone feel about them?

In the past, I've stayed away from them. I've especially sought US made edc knives; there seems to be a pride of ownership that comes when you carry something made in your own country.

Recently ive found some seemingly high quality Chinese and Taiwanese knives in great designs.

Im now tempted to buy some knives I wouldn't have purchased before.

Kelper likes this.
  2. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I go more by the quality of the knives themselves rather than the country of origin.
    I used to think everything made in the US was better by default, but I soon realized that's not always the case.
    There are some really crappy knives made in the states, and some pretty decent ones made overseas.

crogers, adambomb15 and Kelper like this.
  3. *THE PUNISHER*

*THE PUNISHER* ridge runner

Check out Spyderco,Persistance,,nice for the money.

Kelper likes this.
  4. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I have a Cold Steel Rajah I, made in Taiwan, that I would put up against most other high-dollar production folders (as well as many customs). The construction, and level of fit & finish is about as good as it gets.

Kelper likes this.
  5. apdallaround

apdallaround JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

agreed my talwar xl is a flawless knife that has great fit and finish and blade center is spot on. blade edge is razor out of the box. pretty good for a huge Taiwan knife that didnt break the bank.

maybe it depends on the branding and what they require for their finished production knife. i always thought of cold steel being outsourced overseas low end but after reading up and holding one in hand its a very nice knife.

i try to support USA brands but sometimes one has to taste the variety.

Kelper and Shike like this.
  6. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

Spyderco's Taiwan factory, Rike, Reate, Kizer. There are tons of nice knives made in Taiwan and China. Even knives like Shirogorov and CKF have parts milled in China before assembly in Russia.

Kelper likes this.
  7. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Little member JDBA Official Member

I have owned a few taiwan made knives, I liked them. It's my understanding that they have very strict quality control standards. Probably an oversimplified summation of the issue as it varies from plant to plant but I won't sneer at taiwanese mftg just as I won't empty my pockets out for "made in USA"

Kelper likes this.
  8. tnhawk

tnhawk Little member

My best knife was made in the U. S. However my largest disappointment was also made in the U. S.

crogers, Kelper, Shike and 1 other person like this.
  9. TKC

TKC Earthbound misfit Lady Devil

I prefer to spend my $$ on US made knives.

10. elektroknifeman

elektroknifeman Little member

I used to hate anything made in China and I still have a tendency to think that way. However things have changed in the past few years and there are some nice knives coming out of china and taiwan. My current beater EDC is a cheap taiwan made switchblade knife. It's seen pretty consistent use over the past year. Probably 420 but gets scary sharp easily and absolutely zero blade play after a year of use. I see microtechs and other high end autos that have blade play from just playing with the things. I have a few other chinese made knives that I like also. I really prefer older 70's-early 2000's US/Japan made knives, that's where I find the quality I like. I get the feeling that a lot of modern "USA made" knives are just made from parts manufactured in china and then assembled in the US.

Kelper likes this.
  11. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I remember when products coming from Japan were considered junk and most were. They sold us junk because we wanted cheaper stuff, and we all know how that played out. I see the same happening with China.......We want cheap they send us cheap. An ancient civilization that has been making quality stuff before we were even a country, I think they are capable of making excellent merchandise. Their way into our market was to go in with low price Items, once hooked they will start showing us what they can do, just like Japan did. That is why whenever possible I try to buy American.

Kelper and desmodus like this.
  12. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

One of my best seling brands for cheaper knives was always Rough Rider. Kept a good edge presentation was not bad either. I can only say what I sold more of in terms of sales for this area. One must listen to the regular customer base. This was from about two years ago.

elektroknifeman and Shike like this.
  13. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

One thing to be looked at is that Taiwan considers itself to be separate from mainland China, and strives for a higher level of production quality to set them apart (and above) their Chinese counterparts. There are a lot of international investors building new, completely modern factories in Taiwan because they see the potential there.

Kelper likes this.
  14. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I just say No ,

seandavid55 and Kelper like this.
  15. adambomb15

adambomb15 Little member

I used to not even consider buying a knife made in China and buy most of my knives in the USA, but I will tell you the one company that has officially changed my mind is Kizer. Don't get my wrong I still try to buy US made knives but now I put quality and craftsmanship over where the knife was made. For example some of spyderco tiawanees knives like the Southard or the techno have some of the best fit and finish of any knife i have seen. Now back to Kizer, yes, they are a Chinese company however they do get a lot of their materials and designs from the USA. They just manufacturer the knife in China. This is how Kizer is able to give you an anodized full titanium flipper with a ball bearing pivot and a CPM-S35VN blade steel for a killer low price. I bought the Kizer splinter and let me tell you, the quality, fit and finish and the action on this knife is better than some Benchmade or spyderco knives that I have. Kizer has single handedly changed my opinion on Chinese knives. In my opinion as long as the knife is made genuinely by a reputable company like CRKT, Spyderco, Benchmade, Kizer, Kershaw or zero tolerance, it really does not matter to me the country of origin as long as it has great fit and finish and is made with premium components. I would love to here your opinions on Chinese and tiawanees made knives. Do you like them? Or does it bother you to buy any knife MADE IN CHINA?

16. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

It's fine to prefer American made.
    But an even more important variable, is to make sure any imported knife you buy is NOT a CLONE or counterfeit !
    Next, anything you spend money on, should be of quality.
    I will admit, there are some nice quality Chinese/Taiwan made knives.

Shike and Kelper like this.
  17. purpledc

purpledc purple or blue, depends on the strength of your gr Brigade Member

I find some of the best tactical folders being made these days are coming out of china. I used to be very anti china as far as knives. But it was always about the quality of the materials and the execution of those materials. For a long time china just wasn't producing to the quality level I expected. Then seemingly overnight they passed us by and nowadays it seems buying USA made means compromising and taking a knife that has been simplified to the point I am no longer interested. It seems in the USA its all stonewashed finishes and flat slab titanium with a chamfered edge. I just cant keep buying the same knife in a different outline and pretending I am satisfied.

Take WE for instance. To get that kind of detail and craftsmanship in the USA you are either buying customs or a very select few limited editions from a single brand. And I'm also seeing many American companies forgoing DLC coatings and anodizing for ceracrap coatings which I just cant stand. Especially when a company like microtech uses it on an aluminum handle and leaves fucking drip marks around the pivot. There were some economical reasons quite a few years ago that let to high titanium prices and cost of manufacturing went up. But I think companies have been riding that excuse way too long. And its not just the execution of materials but even the quality of the materials that has gone up overseas. Carbon fiber for instance is better in china. True void free carbon fiber with a lot of layers. Here we are lucky if a handle scale doesn't look like swiss cheese. Id be willing to support American manufacturing a hell of a lot more if it wasn't me doing it just because. Made in the USA used to mean something was a notch above the rest. In some rarified cases this still rings true. But in most cases I find it to be almost a sign that I have to look closer to make sure the item is up to my standards.

Shike, Kelper and stdlrf11 like this.
  18. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

Don't you know? American CNC machines get paid more by the hour. That's why only the chinese knives can put the kind of design work they do on their knives for a reasonable price.

Kelper likes this.
  19. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Why..don't know. Ordered a Ontario RAT II yesterday. Seems I'm about 3 -4 years lagging but for some reason I have to have one. I see they're made in Taiwan but the reviews I've read make them seem top notch! I'll know in a few days.

Kelper likes this.
  20. jskfla

jskfla Average member

I've been using and collecting knives for more than 45 years. I'm shy about to telling people how many knives I own. Until recently I had no interest in knives from China, Taiwan and Russia as well. As far as I was concerned they made cheap junk out of pot metal. Like everything else though these countries have stepped up their game because there is money to be made on a better quality product. As a result I am open to buying imports but it has to be something I really want and can't find a USA made equivalent. So far that's only happened a few times.

Kelper and stdlrf11 like this.