1. If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Broken latch screw

Penguinz Mar 11, 2017

1. desmodus

desmodus Guano Loco Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

when i was a kid we ATE acid...

seandavid55, thegoodedge and T-Rev like this.
  2. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Wrong type of Acid !! :clydetz::fenlore::guitar::booger::hypno::hypnotised:
    you should not be trying to eat the type used for eating out tap's &screws
    oh yea you telling your age with that statement :boogerball:

seandavid55 likes this.
  3. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

4. MidnightAbyss

MidnightAbyss JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

5. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

6. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Hermmm... cant get it up to Alaska. Every place I look says it cant be shipped outside of mainland USA.

7. desmodus

desmodus Guano Loco Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

You may have to use a proxy.

8. thegoodedge

It's used to etch printed circuit boards so you might be able to find some at a computer repair or related shop.
    Maybe even a school/trade school?? Or try contacting knife makers up there. They might know how to get some.

You might be able to use Muriatic Acid (pool acid).
    I know it won't hurt the Ti, just don't know how long it would take to dissolve the screw.

VANELLI, Penguinz and desmodus like this.
  9. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member

10. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Thanks Linos and Goodedge. Yep just found that out too. That's easy stuff to get so I'm going to go that route first. Picking up the muriatic today. Going to try do it this weekend.

11. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Started etching the screw out today. Did the 2/1 hydrogen peroxide and muriatic. Threw and beast handle in there (only submerged the bottom half inch or so) and letting it sit now. So far about 1/32 down on the broken screw after 3 hrs. Its not flush anymore so it is working... No damage to the Ti so I think its safe to let it sit in there until the morning.

thegoodedge, desmodus and seandavid55 like this.
  12. thegoodedge

Sounds like you're well on your way.
    Here's a piece of Ti with 4 broken taps--2 top right and 2 bottom left.
    This is the piece I use to resize my screws. All these holes are tapped for 2-56 screws.

Soaked it in some Ferric Chloride over nite a few days ago.
    All cleared out and re-threaded for 2-56 screws :thumbsup:

Pretty cool how you can't even tell the Ti has been is a chemical that eats High Speed Steel overnight...
    20160428_125733.jpg

Herbinator74 likes this.
  13. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Yeah its amazing how it dosent touch the Ti at all. Its down quite a bit now. Switching out the acid every 12 hr or so. Its getting pretty close now i think...

seandavid55 likes this.
  14. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Update time: 90hours in the acid. The screw has a definite hole in the center now. Just waiting for threads to dissolve. I think temp has something to do with speed? It's outside in the 35*F...?

15. desmodus

Cold slows down everything.

16. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Aaaannnd its done! screw threads in smooth and tightens down. Just need to get the handle slab back from home (at uni) and reassemble the knife. I'll show some pics of process when I get it back.:thumbsup:

seandavid55 and desmodus like this.
  17. Penguinz

Penguinz Little member

Finally got it all done and back together. Good as new. A few pics for those interested.

The broken screw. Snapped off flush.
    [​IMG]

2/1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide and muriatic acid. After the first 2 days I switched to pure muriatic with a small squirt of peroxide. Marked the jar at 1 and 2 part levels. Both are clear at first but after working on the screw turn a slight green tint. I did this far from any other metal things and away from buildings. The acid has mean fumes. I used a full respirator, glasses, and gloves whenever I messed with the acid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After about 110 hours the screw was gone. I did this in 30*f temps so it went much slower than expected. It left a bit of a scum stain for some reason. This was the line of the liquid in the jar.... not sure why but i think its the dissolved screw sticking to the handle. Not a big deal. This knife sees use and adds character. lol
    [​IMG]

All g and ready to flip. :helix:I could only get black latch screw but oh well. I did pick up some nice t8 drive spacer screws in my order as well. No more stripped t6 for me lol. Big thanks to Goodedge and Pinoy Knife and everyone else for the suggestion/help to dissolve!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harvey, thegoodedge, VANELLI and 2 others like this.
  18. desmodus

This was a great thread.

I'm glad it worked out for you and especially thanks for sharing the process.