1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bradley Kimura: Cash or Trash?

JCatz91 Sep 4, 2018

1. JCatz91

JCatz91 Tiny Member

I bought the new Bradley Cutlery Kimura that was finally released (you know, the ones with the g10 scales). I was super excited to start using it since it would be my first non-trainer bali. Much to my dismay, the Kimura that I received did not live up to the sparkling reputation of the previous generation. In fact, it was complete garbage. The bite handle was too tight. Not a problem, right? just loosen, Loctite, and lube, right? Wrong. No matter how much the bite handle was loosened, it still stuck. I realized that the pivot holes on the bite handle were slightly miss-aligned. I tried loosening all the screws on the bite handle just enough to line up the pivot holes before tightening everything back up. Unfortunately, Bradley Cutlery (or rather Kershaw) screwed in the spacer screws so tightly that each screw stripped immediately with little to no effort. The icing on the cake came when I realized that none of my efforts would have worked anyways. The two handles that make up the bite handle's sandwich construction were bent inward so much that they pinched the bushings and blade tightly even without the pivot screws. I am sending it back to BladeHQ for a refund. Did anyone else purchase one of the new Kimuras (first production run)? If so, did you have a similar experience?

RoninFlipper likes this.
  2. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Just did a review of mine on the forums. COMPLETELY different experience my friend. Sorry you got a bad one. Got mine also from BHQ.

First production - Black G10 is mine.

My only complaint thus far: a little too heavy for me.

3. JCatz91

JCatz91 Tiny Member

I'm glad you got a good one. I guess I just got super unlucky. Even so, I won't be buying another one anytime soon. The QC issues really left a sour taste in my mouth. I heard rumors that this generation of Kimuras is made by BearOps, not Kershaw. Anyone know if this is true?

4. GuItArMaN8373

Oh yeah, it's definitely true. Says "BearOps" right on the box it ships in.

I'm sure one will come up for sale on here eventually that was of good quality though.
    Damn shame Kershaw didn't pick up the name though or even CRKT.

Balibuyer likes this.
  5. JCatz91

JCatz91 Tiny Member

Oh wow! I was so excited to open it when I got it that I didn't even read the box, haha! I've read multiple reports now of QC issues with the new kimuras. I can't help but wonder if there would still be these problems if Kershaw was making them.

6. GuItArMaN8373

Doubtful there would be. I NEVER bought a BladeOPS or Bear and Son knife because of the MANY reviews I've seen of their shit.
    Only reason I picked the new Kimura up was the price being so low but not TOO low I guess. And the fact BHQ is very cool about returns if the knife is a flop.

JCatz91 likes this.
  7. JCatz91

JCatz91 Tiny Member

Yeah, BHQ handled the situation perfectly! I think I will keep my eyes peeled for a Barebones to start flipping as my first live blade. I wish BRS would stop the premium model drops and start producing the base models again!

8. GuItArMaN8373

They know where the money is at though. Their premium models sell fast and even sell (used) for almost retail on the forums. They gotta get the funds up for their new channeled Alpha Beast and ti scaled rep!

And I DEFINITELY DON'T recommend the new Kimura as your first live-bladed bali anyway.

9. JCatz91

JCatz91 Tiny Member

That's true. I totally understand why they do the premium drops. I just wish they would drop some base models since I can't afford a premium. I know BRS blades pop up for sale here pretty often, but the BBs get snatched up so fast, haha.

Any recommendations besides the BRS models as a first live-bladed bali in the same price range as a barebones?

10. GuItArMaN8373

Many have been chiming in HERE on the forums about a good first live blade. Most are saying if not the BB, then the BM51. I posted my thoughts there as well.

Keep in mind, the BM51 may cost more to buy new, but is still readily available on BHQ and other sites. Where as the BB always sells out quick. If you are patient, you can get a BM51 used or like new for less than $200 at times too.

JCatz91 likes this.
  11. JCatz91

JCatz91 Tiny Member

Awesome! I'll check that out now! Thx!

GuItArMaN8373 likes this.
  12. Uncle Cheech

Uncle Cheech Tiny Member

I got one of the new Bradley Kimura and so far I'm not extremely happy.
    Pro's
    - I really like the blade shape.
    - Blade came super sharp.
    - Good size.
    - Price ;)
    - No QC issues as described in some posts: everything is nicely aligned.

Con's
    - Pivot screws spin free (cannot tighten/loose) => This is huge problem for me. One handle is borderline loose, and there's no way I can tighten it a little.
    - Blade has some grey coating, which I hate.
    - It's on the heavy side, but that was expected, so no surprise there.
    - The latch was seriously ruining the bottom of handle after just a coupla flips (now it's paracord).

I'd consider it a good "utility" knife, I really like the blade (coating excluded), but not a great flipper. I'm quite new at flipping, but I find other bali's easier and more pleasant to play with.

Take my post just as an opinion from a non-expert.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    JCatz91 likes this.
  13. GuItArMaN8373

Yeah definitely not a flipping-focused knife. But cheap enough and beefy enough to be used as an EDC/utilitarian knife.

JCatz91 and Uncle Cheech like this.
  14. Uncle Cheech

Uncle Cheech Tiny Member

...just to add that I've been able to tighten the handle. I just had to press like an animal with my thumb the "back" of the pivot (the flat surface), and turn the pivot torx screw, while pressing it quite a bit on that side as well. Of course it's not precise, since when I wasn't pressing enough it was just spinning freely. After a few attempts it got where I wanted it to be, and the slight blade rub on the handle is gone.

While it's true that I'm not the most mechanically-inclined person around, it's also true that with other bali's I just have to tighten a screw... :D

Definitely not my favorite knife, but I like it.

GuItArMaN8373 likes this.
  15. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Squeeze the handles together. It'll put pressure on the pivots and stop them spinning when you want to loosen or tighten with a torque driver.

JCatz91 likes this.
  16. Uncle Cheech

Uncle Cheech Tiny Member

That sounds like a good tip. Next time I'll try it.