1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Benchmade Triage Question

seandavid55 Aug 22, 2017

1. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Been carrying this knife for a few years. I've never used the safety and have had no problems.....until recently. Lately the blade will open up in my pocket.

When I close the blade it does feel different to me. Not as smooth, gets tighter before it cams over.

I have stopped by benchmade and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

This is my only automatic knife. Company I work for purchased them for everyone. Nice to use a knife they supplied rather than put all that work wear on my personal knives.

Yes, I could use the safety. At that point, I'd rather just not have an auto.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. desmodus

desmodus Cabeza Caliente Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Maybe just clean it?

crogers and seandavid55 like this.
  3. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

The Triage auto has an axis lock, doesn't it? That would mean the lock isn't engaging because it's really hard to accidentally pull the lock bar in your pocket. Maybe one of the Omega springs is broken?

seandavid55 likes this.
  4. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

yeah, seems weird w/ a non push button to open like that unless something is wrong. I dont really know the mechanism though.l

seandavid55 likes this.
  5. seandavid55

I've cleaned it the best I could without taking it apart. It's been blown out with compressed air.

It does use the Axis mechanism. As for the Omega spring, is that something I can look at? I can't see any defects. There are no rattles.

Was kind of bummed they told me it was fine at the factory.

Thanks for the help.

6. desmodus

desmodus Cabeza Caliente Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I would take it apart.

I forget which knife it was, but I took an axis lock Benchmade apart some years ago all the way and it was easier to reassemble than quite a few other knives I've had.

BennytheBlade and seandavid55 like this.
  7. seandavid55

Then that is what I shall do. Hopefully I can find something.

desmodus likes this.
  8. Brian_W204

The Omega springs are the springs that keep tension on the Axis lock bar. They are constantly pushing it forward.

The Axis autos have a hook-like protrusion from the blade that the Axis lock bar slides into when the knife is closed. Either the tip of that hook is damaged (worn or broken) or the lock bar isn't sliding in all the way. It really can't be anything else. A broken Omega spring would cause the bar to not slide in all the way, as would some kind of debris.

Try wiggling the blade up-and-down and side-to-side right after you close the blade and watch carefully to see if the lock bar moves farther forward. Or just try to push it forward with your fingers. I just checked a couple of my auto-Axis models. With my 6150 Mini Rukus auto, I am able to close it very slowly until it will stay closed by itself even though the lock is not fully engaged. When it's in that state, I can pull the blade and it will open. I can also push it closed just a little more and the lock will fully engage. I could not make this happen on my 2750 Adamas auto, though. I'm guessing your knife can get into a similar state as the 6150. However, I noticed I couldn't engage the safety on the 6150 until the blade was fully closed and the lock bar fully engaged, which BTW, rides right up against the tip of the previously-mentioned hook.

I would caution against taking it apart, unless you are comfortable with such things. The autos are a different beast than manual Axis folders.

seandavid55 and stdlrf11 like this.
  9. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Weird that BM would say its fine. Hopefully a good cleaning and nothing broken and it will be fixed. Not like a BM to wear out fast (IME)

seandavid55 likes this.
  10. desmodus

The one I took apart was not an auto.

I did not know that the triage was an auto.

seandavid55 likes this.
  11. seandavid55

I'll take a closer look at it before I do anything. This info will help a lot. Perhaps if I can narrow down the issue BM will see there is a problem.

Thanks again

12. seandavid55

The Triage can be had in an auto and manual version.

13. seandavid55

Bit of a delay here, coworker took my truck, which had the knife....blah blah blah.

So I really didn't want to take it apart. Since I took it to benchmade and they said it was fine, not much to lose.

20170910_160707-600x800.jpg

Brian was exactly right. I'll call Benchmade today to see if I can get a pair of new omega springs. Also I'm a bit disappointed with how much crap is in there. That knife has been to benchmade twice. Not for service but for sharpening and they blow it out. Obviously you can't just use compressed air to clean these knives out. Too many places for gunk to build up.

Hopefully I don't have any problems getting it back together. Doesn't look extremely complex. We shall see.

Thanks for all the help.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  14. seandavid55

Well that was a very disappointing phone call. Person I spoke with was very short and didn't even respond to me bringing the knife to the factory and them sending me away.

They will not send me any springs because they are proprietary. She did inform me of the warranty and that I can print out a form to send in with the knife. She said this same phrase multiple times as a response to my questions. Sounded almost more like an automated message rather than a person.

I've always been a fan of Benchmade. Their warranty is such a huge selling point. This being my first experience with their customer service, I'm not impressed.

Being on the road so much, little bullshit like this eats at my free time and pisses me off.

crogers likes this.
  15. Brian_W204

Benchmade won't send springs. I know. Same for Microtech. It sucks. It sucks more that they didn't see it and fix it at the factory the first time. Sorry. Unfortunately, the only option is to send it back to them for repair.

seandavid55 likes this.
  16. BennytheBlade

Send it in and see how it comes back. Only way to see how BM treats their customers.

seandavid55 likes this.
  17. seandavid55

I hear you guys. Here is the catch, that knife was purchased for me. We are trained in various forms of rescue. So this knife was for rescue purpose. In order for me to send it to them I'd have to go to a dealer in an adjacent state. I'm not putting that part on benchmade at all. That's all on me. Stupid WA.

So basically I'm done with this knife. I'm not going to go through the trouble. A guy I work with needs a couple parts for his.

Thanks for the help. I learned a lot from this.

desmodus, crogers and stdlrf11 like this.
  18. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

You can have it sent to a dealer who can then forward it to you for a price. I did that with a MT through Blade HQ. You would want to set it up first with the dealer, prior to sending it in to BM.

seandavid55 likes this.