1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bearings

Ben. Aug 18, 2017

1. Ben.

Ben. Not FBI JDBA Official Member

As few of you know, and many of you do not, I presently work for the Boca Bearing Company and am trying to get us into the knife game. We currently sell every size and material ball imaginable, however it appears that thrust bearings (similar to what are depicted below) are more commonly used in folding knives and some balisongs.

[​IMG]

I recently had some 5 x 10 mm thrust bearings (3/16" ID) ordered with 9 ceramic balls (1/16"), and a brass retainer. They should be here in about 2 months. I was wondering if there are any other sizes or materials that would be appealing to this crowd. Any and all constructive (or not :ssmile:) feedback would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to drop me a line on here or at the link below.

https://www.bocabearings.com/products/folding-knife-and-tool-industry-bearings-prod44

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

CERAMIC

desmodus and Ben. like this.
  3. desmodus

desmodus Cabeza Caliente Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I second the ceramic.

HUGE difference.

Ben. likes this.
  4. Ben.

We happen to be the largest supplier of ceramic in North America ;) the 3/16 pivot thrust bearing I had ordered will have silicon nitride ceramic balls

desmodus and BennytheBlade like this.
  5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Awesome. We are all good to go then. You just need to send a few samples out here and there

I have a lot of youse guys stuff in my RC stuff.

Ben. likes this.
  6. Ben.

Nice! I just sent you a dm with a little something :ssmile:

7. BalisongAddict97

BalisongAddict97 Tiny Member

Don't use ceramic bearings. Over time it will wear down the blade and put grooves in it. I recommend 440c Bearings. My Rep has 440c bearings and they will wear down before the knife does. Also find a synthetic lubricant to oil the bearings that doesn't gunk up.

8. Ben.

The "grooves" you're referring to come with the territory of using any bearing, regardless of material. If you check out the IKBS website you'll find a tutorial on cold rolling which is essentially an artificial means of creating a race. By doing this you're able to control the wear, if you want to call it that. This is how a skilled knife maker would go about this process. The "wear" you're referring to will actually improve performance when done correctly. Ceramic essentially polishes the race, therefore causing a smoother rotation. Use ceramic bearings.

begreen61 and desmodus like this.
  9. bp123

bp123 Little member

I'll second this. I've been installing bearings in 51's, 6x flyti's, Barebones and a few others. I've found small grooves in the blade as mentioned regardless of ceramic or 440C bearings. Its just the nature of the beast.

begreen61 and Ben. like this.