1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Hum and Noise?

RNST Feb 7, 2016

1. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

It took a while to find who the culprits are in the system.

The pre amp manufacturer says on their site that proper grounds are required for best performance. They have a grounding lug for attachment to the turntable. Problem is the turntable doesn't have a ground post. Grounding it to the headphone amp works well.

I noticed there was still hum depending where it was case grounded. Also the gain switch amplified the hum.

So good grounds and nominal gain works well.

I determined this when removing dust balls under the amp one day. Still holds true cleanliness is next to . . .

2. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

4/14/18
    Just a little update as I was reviewing this thread.
    A lot of my equipment is of the vintage variety, from the days before everything had polarized plugs. Had a hum in one of my turntables that was a pain in the ass to track down, when I found the solution was as simple as just pulling the plug from the wall, flipping it over 180 degrees, and plugging it back in. Some days, ya just get lucky....