1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Any Vintage Stereo gear enthusiasts out there ?

waterdogs Sep 10, 2017

1. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

If so, what rocks your house ?
    Vinyl ?
    Cassettes ?
    Reel-to-reel ?
    FM radio ?

All of the above ? (that`s me :headfone:)

Pics and videos welcome !

desmodus and Bobert like this.
  2. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

It still play cassettes through my trusty old Nakamichi Dragon and DBX4BX. Pretty much all bootlegs, mostly Dead. I also have a few hundred DAT's and a few DAT decks. I had several hundred vinyl LP's stolen from me and that was a bummer. I want to get back in to vinyl, though. I have a bunch of CD's as well, but I can't listen to them for long as they're fatiguing. After two or three CD's I'm done, whereas I could listen to vinyl all day long. I also still listen to VHS once in a while. I took my VHS recorder to the High Sierra Music Festival to record bands. They broadcast low power FM, so I'd record the whole weekend on VHS tapes (audio only). I'd run an FM tuner straight to the VHS deck, and use powered speakers so I didn't need an amp. It was cool, plop in a tape and go watch a band, then head back to the RV to change tapes and repeat as necessary. I did the same thing with DAT's. Since CD's and MP3's took over, hardly anyone has a decent stereo anymore. I'm still rocking an old Phase Linear amp, but I'd like to get a Mcintosh MC2500.

waterdogs and desmodus like this.
  3. waterdogs

Nak Dragon, eh ?
    Phase Linear, eh ?
    Those are some serious components, my boy !

I frequent a couple of audio forums, and am always astounded by how many people say "Yeah....cassettes are a DEAD format, why would anybody be interested in THAT ?"
    "BullSHIT, motherfucker" is my response to that....they have just never experienced any good sounding cassette decks, combined with decent-quality homemade tapes. I have a Pioneer CT-F1250, which was their TOTL cassette deck back around 1979 or thereabouts, and with a Maxell UDXL-II, or TDK-SA90, it will still take The Pepsi Challenge against just about anything out there.

I just moved my residence recently, and have spent the last few months trying to resurrect a dirty, wet, FUGLY bare-bones basement into something reasonably respectable, so I can have a place to hang out and listen to some tunes.

4. waterdogs

All my still pix are getting bounced (file size is too big, even though they`re only 800 x 800), so I`ll try this lil` video I just made for Youtube....

5. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I have lots of equipment but no longer listen to it due to my hearing loss in 2007. It sits collecting dust in a wall unit...

Pioneer 626 receiver; TEAC A-1250 reel to reel; TEAC A-350 cassette deck; Dual 1229 turntable; Sansui RA- 500 Reverberator; AR - 4x speakers; various 331/3 albums & cassettes.

6. desmodus

desmodus Lid Wiggy Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I still have a heap of cassettes, but the only deck I have is in my pickup.

I lost all of my vinyl in my first marriage which is a shame because I love that sound the most.

mp3's are absolute shite.

If I listen to digital music I insist on lossless. I recently picked up a small music device that plays all lossless formats, but I have not yet invested in the high-end earbuds that give you the full surround sound experience.

It's been a very long time since I had a component stereo system. I wouldn't even know where to pick up the pieces to try and rebuild the love...

Bobert likes this.
  7. Bobert

Yeah, I love cassettes. I also have two other Nakamichi decks that I used solely for copying tapes, back when I was trading. The Dragon was my holy grail, though. I agree that most folks never heard a good tape. Hell, most folks today never even heard a good stereo. CD's kind of ruined the home stereo market. People just don't appreciate music as much as when vinyl was king. Cd's aren't good for extended listening, and MP3's are worse. They're good for traveling when you're trapped in a car, but not for home. For a few years, we stored the TV in the shed, and the stereo was on all day every day. I couldn't have done that with CD's or MP3's.

desmodus likes this.
  8. Bobert

Nice! I'm using a Carver preamp, as well.

9. Bobert

I'm hip. I have both headphones and earbuds, as well as a Grado headphone amp, but I really only use them for travel.

10. waterdogs

Hi Gary,

I kinda figured you for a vintage stereo guy. Did that surgery ever help you regain any hearing ability ?

11. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I think my stereo equipment can be called 'antique'. I started buying pieces in the '70's while in the Army. 25 years old is considered 'antique' isn't it?
    The cochlear implant helped my hearing immensely but not clear & bright enough for listening to music or TV for that matter. Still rely on 'closed captioning' for TV watching.

BowtownBlade, waterdogs and Bobert like this.
  12. Bobert

I's not "antique", it's "vintage".

13. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I am afraid most of my vintage hardware has gone on to whatever lies beyond. (I am sure they are playing at a ranch somewhere up North). My last piece of equipment from the old days is a McIntosh MAC4100, which is currently not in service. It is sitting in a closet because I can't bring myself to get rid of it. I bought it in the late 70s.

The departed included a Dual 1219, Tandberg cassette deck, ADS Speakers and sub. All gone.

waterdogs and Bobert like this.
  14. waterdogs

Like yourself, I found many CDs (particularly the early ones) were harsh and strident on the top end, making extended listening uncomfortable. Recording them onto cassette gave surprisingly good results, as the cassette format typically rolls off frequencies above 15 kHz, eliminating much of the nastiness that those CDs brought to the party.

An EQ also helps a lot, it allows you to cut back on offending frequencies, and boost the ones that you feel need help, fine-tuning the sound to suit your ears....

15. BowtownBlade

BowtownBlade Brigade Member Brigade Member

I have a recapped Marantz 2265B, Dual 522 turntable, Pioneer CS-99A speakers and a cheap Toshiba DVD player for my CD's

waterdogs and Bobert like this.
  16. waterdogs

Nice gear ! I also had a pair of those beautiful CS-99s, they were part of my first "real" stereo system, purchased through the Military PX system back in another lifetime....

Bobert and BowtownBlade like this.
  17. BowtownBlade

BowtownBlade Brigade Member Brigade Member

I got these speakers from a friend that also bought them when he was in the military, if I remember Guam is where he said he purchased them. I had these speakers since 1985 so my memory could be a bit fuzzy now, sucks getting old.

Bobert and waterdogs like this.
  18. Bobert

I scored a killer deal on a pair of Mesa Boogie M-180 Monoblocks. They're 200 watt mono tube amps that are audiophile quality. So many people were using them in home stereo systems that Mesa produced a dual mono stereo amp for a couple of years, but here were only about 100 of those made and they don't come up for sale very often.

I had to put 1/4" connectors on some speaker cables, as these amps don't have terminal blocks. All I can say is wow! I've been listening to music all night, and I'm loving these amps! I'm listening to Supertramp's Crime Of The Century right now and it's unbelievable how good it sounds! I'm going to have to buy a nice tube preamp now!

waterdogs likes this.
  19. waterdogs

Congrats on the new amps, I`m sure they sound great !
    Had the house all to myself for a couple hours this morning, had Genesis` "A Trick Of The Tail" album on the reel-to-reel, CRANKED the shit out of it `til I could feel the vibrations in my chest....
    This sounds good at near-concert-level volume....

BowtownBlade and Bobert like this.
  20. Bobert

Thanks, I'm loving these amps. I stayed up all night listening to music. I'm not kidding, I shut it down and went to bed at 8:30 this morning. Woke up 5 hours later and cranked it back up with Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. Good stuff on that one. Genesis is one of those bands that I never got to see live, but wished I did.

desmodus likes this.