1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Alpha beast 3.0 blade rub...

Novicefliper Apr 1, 2018

1. Novicefliper

Novicefliper Little Member

2. Novicefliper

3. Novicefliper

If anyone is still watching this thread or has a AB with this issue I have an update. Last time I took it apart I decided to heavily coat the bearings and washers in Rem Oil, put it back together and let it dry for a few days. The lube seems to have taken up a tiny amount of space and my AB is no longer tapping on the inside handle. When I check the play I can see the blade is JUST stopped before it touches the inner handle but it still favors the side where the rub occurred. Still flips amazing and still love this balisong.

4. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

"Bearings".. what bearings?

5. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

I'm thinking he probably meant bushings, how lubricant takes out play in a Bali however, remains a mystery. I'm thinking just taking a Bali apart and reassembling it and torquing the pivot screws a lil more than it came might help take away some play, idk.

6. leo

leo JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

OSP Balisong sells bushings/washers for ABs and Replicants. You can either get them custom fitted and send in your knife or get them sent to you to break in. I just got a set for my rep but haven’t put them in yet.

7. laughingbuddha

I think I'd rather have the problem of replacing the washers when they wear on the stock BRS balis.. than replacing the ti liners on the Rep or ti slab on the AB when OSP bushings wear into them with his "floating bushings".

8. leo

Is that what happens? I assumed the bushings would wear down rather than wearing into the ti.

9. laughingbuddha

The bushings are stainless and much harder than Ti. They will wear a groove into the Ti over time. It'll take quite a bit of flipping but it'll happen. Then the tolerences will be shit and the only way to fix will be to replace the Ti liners or slab.

If you've ever seen a well flipped BM42 the spring latch doesn't lock in the open or closed position. Thats because the stainless tang pins wear a groove into the Ti tang cups.

leo likes this.
  10. leo

Interesting. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'm getting handles made for a rep and was going to put the OSP Trainer on the leftover liners / scales just so they didn't go to waste. Anyways not trying to derail the thread on AB blade rub so I'll look into it a bit more myself.

11. Novicefliper

I meant bushings and thanks for the warning about the floating bushing solution.

12. Novicefliper

Yep I did mean bushings, thanks. I previously took my AB apart 4 times and put it back together making sure to tighten the pivot screws evenly and tight. The 5th time I took it apart I decided to coat the parts in rem oil. I am saying that I believe the volume of lubricant took up enough space in between the parts to cause my blade not to rub on the inner handle. Similar to putting ever so slightly thicker washers on it. Just sharing my experience.

13. Novicefliper

I know that this solution will not last. As the lubricant breaks down wears off I will be back to where I was before. Looking ahead, I am going to order fresh hardware for my less than 1 month old AB and see if maybe my washers being out of spec were the problem. The bushings look good (they stick out past the blade a tiny bit). Only other problem it could be is the pivot hole on the safe handle side is slightly off. My AB has little handle play and what play there is occurs with the safe handle. I have tried swapping bite handle washers to safe handle, no fix.

14. Yournamehere

Yournamehere JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I have a Flyti 63 on uncaged ceramic bearings and it's has absolutely no play and no blade rub...and flips smoother tham any caged bearing Bali I have flipped... Still over time it will start to rub. I have to tear it down clean re-tune and loctite and it will hold for a lot longer than most but will still eventually start to rub again.... It's part of life!