Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S30V is the devil I tell ya!!!

S30V is the devil I tell ya!!!

This was in the works for quite a while and delivered in time for Christmas. If I ever had a knife that was snakebit from the beginning, this bitch was it. SO many issues along the way I can't even start without dropping F-bombs. All in all it came out OK. But this is the last time I use S30V and I can say that with certainty.

OK, enough bitching. S30V blade (6" long) full flat grind with a 500 grit hand-rubbed finish. Hey Ma, look no plunge cuts! That was a pain. Full taper from edge to spine. Distal taper from heel to tip. Rounded spine and choil area. Black G10 bolsters with micarta pins. Handle is stabilized curly redwood and black G10 liners.

I took WIP pics throughout the whole process and I'll post those later.

◄◄◄◄◄◄ Admin ►►►►►► Soup_Monger's Avatar
    Images
    I like that a lot, Chris.

What's the size of the blade at it's widest point (spine to edge).

Quote Originally Posted by Soup_Monger View Post
    I like that a lot, Chris.

What's the size of the blade at it's widest point (spine to edge).
    Thanks Soup. 2 1/2" wide. Lots of knuckle clearance there.

Looks pretty awesome to me!

I've never worked with S30v but I understand it is a bitch to get a decent finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mathews View Post
    Looks pretty awesome to me!

I've never worked with S30v but I understand it is a bitch to get a decent finish.
    I'll put it like this. I wouldn't gift you with the piece I have left because I consider us friends. How's that?

Good looking knife, but stick to CPM-3v

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daigle
    If I knew all my knives were ending up in safes, I'd fucking quit and take up quilting

Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool Mike Stewart's Avatar
    Images
    Chris,

I like the knife.

It shows that you do have a good understanding of how Chef knives work.

The handle clearance is very good.

I totally understand about the S30V.

I just had a guy call me and tell me he had a contract for me for 2400 knives.

He said S30v and I said that I was too busy to consider it.

Had he said almost any other Steel I would have at least asked him his name or a little more about the project.

Aldo has a butt load of S35VN in real thin.(.060")

I'm going to make some Kitchen knives from some of it.

The S35VN is way easier to grind and polish that the S30V and is even tougher at high rockwells than S30V.

I want to make some Santokus that are about 2.5 inches high and have about 9 inch blades and some Chef's the same height with over 10 inch blades.

I'm hoping that it will be a fun project instead of an S30v Pain in the Ass project.

Regardless - Your Little chef is very nice and looks like it will cut like a laser.

Mike..................
    BRKCA #01 Mike
    NJKCA #041

MY AVATAR

" I Am America "

RIP Chris + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    Had he said almost any other Steel I would have at least asked him his name or a little more about the project.
    I'm learning. And yes, this is the S30V I questioned you about via PM. What a bunch of shit.

Water under the bridge.

All in all, the design had a good rocking edge to it.

VIVA LA ALDO!!!!!!!

Former Village People Roadie Parker's Avatar
    Undocumented Worker Refugee Zone (Central CONUS)
    Images
    Chris, try some BG42 now

I find it refreshing when guys who play with steel for a living say S30V sucks rocks.

For a while the usual chorus was "we just have not learned how to finish it yet......"

I do not know if Crucible has yet cured themselves of throwing a few broomfuls of shop-floor sweepings in each batch, or whatever it was they were doing to get all those fantastic pits and voids.

It's an interesting side-trail in the Darwinist avenue which is modern business that this shit can be foisted upon the public with no evidence to actually back up the claims of superiority, that the performance envelope is far behind the curve of most tried and true high-performance steels and yet the public buys into the bullshit that we want "tough" knives instead of sharp or re-sharp'ed knives. I note that these claims generally were made by Crucible, which as far as I know, does not make knives, but makes and sells steel.

I liken it to how the pharmaceutical industry markets all sorts of useless and new shit to the consumer without the consumer putting up a fight or even questioning the reasons for the change.

Chris, it is a hell of a nice looking knife. And I enjoy your choice of words regarding this stuff and how you consider it as a steel for knives.
    Internet Counseling Sessions available by appt. - $50/ session -

Specializing in butt-hurt and related topics you are convinced were caused by the Jerzee Devil, God, Obama or those damned Republicans, or really anyone else who hurt your feelings.

www.northeast-IL-outfitters.com
    Cutlery and Accoutrements for the Urbane and Savage Gentleman

MAD DOG KNIVES??

JDBA BaliBro 1016 (pending)

That came out great Chris, and amen on that S30V...
    SEMPER FI :semper: http://www.mcneescustomknives.com

BLADE SHOW 2011 TABLE 18G

Images
    Wow! S30V haters be stepping out! Other Knife makers like Chris Reeve and Spyderco, to name a few seem to have no problem with it. Interesting.

I am not calling into question anyone here, but, S30V seems to always get dog piled here and as an end user I find the steel very good. One of the better steels I have found. Nice polished edge and it cuts and holds an edge very well.

Why is it so despised?

Sounds like extra work to make a knife out of it.

Very nice looking kitchen knife by the way. I love the Redwood handles.
    While he plundered far and wide
    All his starving children cried
    And though we sung his fame
    We all went hungry just the same

Steely Dan

Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool Mike Stewart's Avatar
    Images
    Worker,

You need to go onto one of the Kitchen forums and just ask them how they feel about Kitchen Knives in S30V.

They are Universally disliked by real hard use kitchen folks.

Why has Reeve switched to S35VN ?

Fad ?

You said - "Nice Polished Edge" - What do the majority of people do that don't even know what a polished edge is ?

What happens in use without that Nice Polished Edge ?
    BRKCA #01 Mike
    NJKCA #041

MY AVATAR

" I Am America "

RIP Chris + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Worker View Post
    Wow! S30V haters be stepping out! Other Knife makers like Chris Reeve and Spyderco, to name a few seem to have no problem with it. Interesting.

I am not calling into question anyone here, but, S30V seems to always get dog piled here and as an end user I find the steel very good. One of the better steels I have found. Nice polished edge and it cuts and holds an edge very well.

Why is it so despised?

Sounds like extra work to make a knife out of it.

Very nice looking kitchen knife by the way. I love the Redwood handles.
    Thanks man. I appreciate the compliments.

The choice to drop the steel is a personal one. When I find pits in the finish by the time I get to 600 grit or so, it just ruins my day. By that point, I've put a lot of time into the blade in my opinion. Do I want to risk that on the next knife? Hell no. Especially considering there are other/better steels out there.

The comments you've seen posted are from guys who have worked the steel. That should speak volumes.

Edit: for clarity
    Last edited by Chris Daigle; 12-21-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Wow, going through some old photos and found this.

The large one was a monster. The block of Osage Orange was used on it. And it looks like I altered the profile of the smaller one a bit before it became the one posted. Mostly with the handle.

Former Village People Roadie Parker's Avatar
    Undocumented Worker Refugee Zone (Central CONUS)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    Worker,

You need to go onto one of the Kitchen forums and just ask them how they feel about Kitchen Knives in S30V.

They are Universally disliked by real hard use kitchen folks.

Why has Reeve switched to S35VN ?

Fad ?

You said - "Nice Polished Edge" - What do the majority of people do that don't even know what a polished edge is ?

What happens in use without that Nice Polished Edge ?
    And there you have it folks -

Mike, this is precisely where I was going on my tirade, now about 8 years old, about this abortive cheesecake of a steel.

This shit steel folds like a cheap hooker taking a belly punch at the edge when introduced to envelopes. I cannot imagine using it for a week or so in daily food prep.

My kitchen knives for the most part get sharped as needed on an EZ Lap bench hone. I do not have time to spend stropping/ honing/ polishing a kitchen blade while in the middle of a dish and the 8-inch is dull without me noticing it. Eight or ten quick swats on the EZ Lap and we're ready to roll, no questions asked. I can hose the hone off later if I need to.

And Thank You for bringing up S35V. I've only one knife in this stuff, a Nyala, and I've not had it long enough to pronounce judgment. But my initial impression is that it's not the bullshit marshmallow S30V is.
    Internet Counseling Sessions available by appt. - $50/ session -

Specializing in butt-hurt and related topics you are convinced were caused by the Jerzee Devil, God, Obama or those damned Republicans, or really anyone else who hurt your feelings.

www.northeast-IL-outfitters.com
    Cutlery and Accoutrements for the Urbane and Savage Gentleman

MAD DOG KNIVES??

JDBA BaliBro 1016 (pending)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information