This is a green/black/tan micarta I'm making for Jason. He wants me to sculpt the slabs to make something colorful and grippy. Since it's my first time, I tested some patterns once I cutted the unusable parts.
The clothings I bought for this.
Making the pile, aplying polyester resin in between each layer (almost 60 of them)
On the press (12 tons, and I place the clothings on some oiled 1/2" steel plates)
Right off the press.
After I tested some sculpting to gain an idea of the job ahead.
This was my first time using the hidraulic press.. this piece is like a rock!
The camo was Jason's idea, he wanted an OD green, tan and black mixture, and I picked a lighter green as once you press it with the resin it aquires a darker color (as you can see on the last picture)
When I get to polish the piece it will get a more cool look, as it enhances the contrasts between the colors.
This is after I cutted a piece for a slab and rounded it.
This are the two slabs, now polished.
This is not what Jason wanted, so I'm gonna try this again with thinner fabric and I will try to make it draw on the press, on a process similar to the rods I used to make other micarta in the past. This time instead or rods, I'll use some pins to press the fabrics and get the layout I've been asked for.
This are the first flat slabs I made, but I didn't like them, so I tried with the round ones.
Shown with the round ones.
After my others attempts, I made a new block of micarta with thinner fabric and more vivid green (so it doesnít look so dark after the resin) and came up with this.
With that micarta I started the work and I made the slabs to replace the wooden ones.
This is the other slab, without any special work on it yet.
And finally, the finished work!