Thread: SOG USA ? What happened ?

SOG USA ? What happened ?

I was looking up SOG Knives last night ... some interesting new designs, but it appears that all the knives, including Seal Pup, Seal, Trident Bowie are being made in Taiwan. Looks like FRN and Micarta is replaced with santoprene or hard rubber. What happened ? I thought SOG was made in USA ?

I have a Seal Pup and NW Ranger from 8 - 10 years ago... I am going to check to see where they were made.
    WANTED: M.O.B.

Collection:
    Randall Knives
    RJ Martin
    Allen Elishewitz
    Alvin Kinsey
    Edmund Davidson
    Peter Martazelli
    Wally Hayes
    Ray Ennis
    many more

Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool Mike Stewart's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino-ranch View Post
    What happened ? I thought SOG was made in USA ?
    Really ?

Who would have made the knives for them ?
    BRKCA #01 Mike
    NJKCA #041

MY AVATAR

" I Am America "

RIP Chris + 1

I know more about nothing than you ever will G3's Avatar
    Images

Another

As for where our knives are made here is a quick list of current products.

China
    Only Fusion products

Taiwan
    Daggert 1 & 2, Gov-Tac, Bowie 2.0, Trident 2.0, Tech Bowie, Super SOG Bowie, Team Leader 440c, Kilowatt, Revolver

Japan
    SEAL Pup, SEAL 2000, Tigershark, Mini Pentagon, Pentagon, NW Ranger, Recon Bowie, Scuba/Demo, SOG Bowie Commemorative, Pentagon Elite, Spec Elite, X-Ray Vision, Vision, Mini X-Ray Vision, Tomcat 3.0, Arcitech, Access Card, Vulcan, Gentleman, SOGwinder,

US
    Flash, Twitch, Blink, Trident folder, Bi-Polar, Multi-tools, Topo Meridian, Team Leader Duratech
    Last edited by G3; 08-30-2010 at 02:31 PM.
    "Oops"

I have no idea ... but it was my understanding that at least some of their knives were Made in the USA. By the way, I really like my BRAVO 1 SS, only wish that you had more knives in SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    Really ?

Who would have made the knives for them ?

Collection:
    Randall Knives
    RJ Martin
    Allen Elishewitz
    Alvin Kinsey
    Edmund Davidson
    Peter Martazelli
    Wally Hayes
    Ray Ennis
    many more

Thanks for the info.
    Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by G3 View Post

Another

As for where our knives are made here is a quick list of current products.

China
    Only Fusion products

Taiwan
    Daggert 1 & 2, Gov-Tac, Bowie 2.0, Trident 2.0, Tech Bowie, Super SOG Bowie, Team Leader 440c, Kilowatt, Revolver

Japan
    SEAL Pup, SEAL 2000, Tigershark, Mini Pentagon, Pentagon, NW Ranger, Recon Bowie, Scuba/Demo, SOG Bowie Commemorative, Pentagon Elite, Spec Elite, X-Ray Vision, Vision, Mini X-Ray Vision, Tomcat 3.0, Arcitech, Access Card, Vulcan, Gentleman, SOGwinder,

US
    Flash, Twitch, Blink, Trident folder, Bi-Polar, Multi-tools, Topo Meridian, Team Leader Duratech

Collection:
    Randall Knives
    RJ Martin
    Allen Elishewitz
    Alvin Kinsey
    Edmund Davidson
    Peter Martazelli
    Wally Hayes
    Ray Ennis
    many more

As far as my knowledge takes me, SOG knives are (also) made in Japan from their first start in the late '80.

Jay to the Dee, Y'All! infobound1's Avatar
    Seiki, just like AM and Paragon!
    AKA HOGBOUND1
    You Bought Another What!

SOG for EDC

SOG has never had very many knives made in the USA. They were originally just an office in Santa Monica, CA and everything was made in Japan. At that point they made some very nice innovative products for their time and were a favorite of mine. Now they have lost it. I had dozens of their older models until 4 or 5 years ago but sold them off. I still have one old TigerShark in SK-5 and I removed the handle and had the blade gunblued.
    I will someday get around to putting a stacked disc micarta handle on it similar to the old Trident.

I don't know what you mean about no more micarta handles. The Trident was the only micarta handle that I can think of. They have steadily been moving production to Taiwan and or China over the past 8 or so years.

SOG is one of the companies that I really used to like back in the 1980's and 1990's but have gotten to the point that I don't even look at them any more. Either they have cheapened the manufacturing and materials to an unacceptable level or they have come out with ridiculous designs that make them look stupid.

To me it is the same story with Gerber and Cold Steel as well.
    Regards, Devils. Vince.

Micarta = Trident Bowie. Yes, that is the one I was referring to. That classic is now being made in Taiwan w/ santoprene or something of that sort for a handle.

I agree w/ you re Cold Steel. When Lynn Thomas first introduced the Trailmaster Bowie -- man I wanted one soooooo bad. I eventually settled on R-1 Military Classic, but sold it 'cause it doesn't even come close to the real thing.

Gerber -- I see all these reviews re LMF II, and it's only a 5" blade. Not sure if that even qualifies as a legitimate field / camp knife. I mean compare that to the BMF 9" blade or the MKII fighter. Too much R&D on multi-tools and not enough emphasis on the classics. The YARI was nice, but they stopped making that too because it was a nice piece no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    SOG has never had very many knives made in the USA. They were originally just an office in Santa Monica, CA and everything was made in Japan. At that point they made some very nice innovative products for their time and were a favorite of mine. Now they have lost it. I had dozens of their older models until 4 or 5 years ago but sold them off. I still have one old TigerShark in SK-5 and I removed the handle and had the blade gunblued.
    I will someday get around to putting a stacked disc micarta handle on it similar to the old Trident.

I don't know what you mean about no more micarta handles. The Trident was the only micarta handle that I can think of. They have steadily been moving production to Taiwan and or China over the past 8 or so years.

SOG is one of the companies that I really used to like back in the 1980's and 1990's but have gotten to the point that I don't even look at them any more. Either they have cheapened the manufacturing and materials to an unacceptable level or they have come out with ridiculous designs that make them look stupid.

Last edited by rhino-ranch; 08-30-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Collection:
    Randall Knives
    RJ Martin
    Allen Elishewitz
    Alvin Kinsey
    Edmund Davidson
    Peter Martazelli
    Wally Hayes
    Ray Ennis
    many more

scourge of humanity Uncle_Jarvis's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post

SPOT ON ~

Help save the U.S. ; boycott Chinese made products

SOG does still have gems. The Tech Bowie and Super Bowie come to mind. The only new SOG design I own is a SEAL Team. I have a SOG Midnight Tigershark, SEAL 2000, SEAL Team, and Tech Bowie. I've next to no complaints with any of these knives. BUT I would never touch a fusion knife and would be very hesitant to use some of their other new stuff. Buy the classisc, they've been around for 30yrs for a reason.

I have two SOGs, the Pentagon Elite and a Trident Tanto. The Navy Exchange on base sells a lot of them, in addition to ka-Bar. I like their Bowie Knives and Dive Knives, too.

Chinese made products are such low quality items. They are disposables and far from heirlooms.

Unfortunately, many US companies have to outsource their products for the bottom line. Luckily for us, there are still some companies who do not compromise quality or service for their Balance Sheets. I personally don't focus upon where something is made. I just examine it for construction, ergonomics, and whether the company stands behind what they sell. Those are the types of companies we must continue to support-especially if they are truly made in the USA.
    Balisong and Firearms Channel
    http://tinyurl.com/9r67sv9
    Feedback for me at the JD:
    http://tinyurl.com/9jlb7a8

Thread Information