So what if someone wanted to buy the 1st design from you? Say out of 35VN?
Bumping this for the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I was finally able to get some time in the shop. I have a few pictures to share, and a little bit of progress.
First we have the steel in the bench vise to be cut out.
And this is the reason why I'm cutting this crap out with a hack saw. I don't have room for a floor sized metal band saw, but I've got a neat little portable one. It decided however, that the blade needed to break. No where to get replacements around, so to the hacksaw I went. I love the fact that it broke on the weld when there was no load on the blade.
Here's the blade cut out and ready to be profiled.
The blade and some of it's friends profiled out.
One of the liners profiled. .100 6AL4V tough to cut out by hand, but will be worth it in the long run.
Started filing the groove for the floating stop pin. This is where I stopped last night, needed to get some sleep.
And here's the blade and handle together showing what it might look like when I'm all done.
And the design again so we can seen how far off of it I'm forced to go because of the mistakes that I will inevitably make.
First snow of the year fell yesterday, so I felt I had to take some time out to enjoy it
And a little proof that I was the one doing the work Ti sparks are BRIGHT!!!
I can't get the youtube code to work.
Last edited by Trenton Entwistle; 10-27-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: obviously I'm a youtube idiot
fixed! and damn those are bright sparks!
For you tube videos:
use the youtube button when making a post
and in the middle of the brackets it creates, only paste the end part of the video url.
yours was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smYkPUjsFLE
so you'd only paste smYkPUjsFLE in between those brackets.
Last edited by BenDibble; 10-27-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: explaing youtube.
And I fucked up.
But I should be able to keep it alive, the blade is just much, much smaller than it was before. Ground it to thin trying something new. How come I always fuck up when i try something new? I tell ya, I really hate change!!!!!!!
Any who, here are some pics of what happened in the little area that I call a shop today.
First off, the temp. A balmy 5 degrees celcius. That's 41 fahrenheit for all you weird people.
I finally chose the handle material for this bad boy. Or should I say girl???????
Here I am cutting the 45 degree angle to start grinding the blade. This is before I fucked up. (Youtube vid was still processing when I made this post so it might not work.. That and I'm a youtube retard)
Well I don't want to show you the blade that I destroyed, so I'm hiding it in a steel envelope. Blade profile looks the same, just a LOT smaller. All ready for HT.
The jackass that designed my garage decided that he was going to put a 220V plug in line with the other 110V plugs. Because of his jackassery, I can pretty much not run anything that requires power while I have my oven running. As a result, I look for jobs that require the little muscle power that I have. Here we have the scales and bolsters cut out. Got to love the coping saw. Wanted to use my wet tile saw for cutting this out, but my previous comment about electricity was at the front of my mind.
I also decided to all a little checkering to the liners.
And the blades outta ht. not completely, still needs to be tempered, but need to get some sleep, and I don't have the 4.5 hours it'll take for the tempering cycles today. You can see the original size under the blade. Same basic shape, but the size is way off. I don't have time to start all over again, so I decided to see what this was going to look like when finished.
Two final pics for tonight. One of the blade in the liners and open, the other of the tip of the blade between the scales closed.
Looks good man. My blade is still away being heat treated.
Still working. Had to take a break to carve pumpkins, and then to take the lil' fella trick or treating.
Scales and bolsters are fitted, need to cut and fit the lock, then hand rub the blade and then decide what to do to the handle. I still have ~6 hours till midnight, so I'm good, right?
OK, got her *done* at 0240 this morning. Not in time for the buildoff, and I found a mistake anyways. Somehow, towards the end of my knife building adventure, the liners torqued themselves. The blade is off center. Talk about disappointing. I think it might be the pivot itself, but I don't have anymore, so I'll have to wait until my order arrives. Looks like I get another knife
Anywho, I've got some pictures for ya'll.
Here's my fancy set up for squaring the front of the scales and bolsters.
Getting ready to tap the screw holes for the scales and bolsters.
And the aforementioned carved pumpkin.
And few pics of the knife assembled.
It was fun participating. I did learn a couple of things, the most imprtant being that I really, really like working with CPM154CM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)