Page 1 of 270 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stupid Question Amnesty Thread

The Stupid Question Amnesty Thread

This is a thread meant for simple questions and simple responses, preferably links to educational resources. (quoting the question so it doesn't get confusing)

Whether you're new to the balisong or not, at some point you have probably had a question that you thought was stupid and didn't really want to start a thread for it, and didn't want to hijack someone elses thread either. Questions about types of steel, washers bushings, blade shapes, abbreviations, etc.

Here is your chance to claim "stupid question amnesty" and help others with the same question find educational content at the end of a quick search.

Maybe it will work, get sticky'd, and prove to be a great resource. Maybe it will get buried with no activity whatsoever only to get necro'd 3 years from now, mocking it's failure. (in which case I will claim amnesty)
    Stay Sharp
    JDBA # 65535

I'll start...

I've seen FHM mentioned a few times. What is it? A company, a private builder, a design? I looked once but didn't find an answer.
    Stay Sharp
    JDBA # 65535

Godzilla Size Member AnthonyTheAbyss's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vileperson View Post
    I'll start...

I've seen FHM mentioned a few times. What is it? A company, a private builder, a design? I looked once but didn't find an answer.
    It's an acronym for "Filipino Hand Made". Matt Cook is the man if you're looking for a custom FHM.

The door that turned round, Locked inside
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vileperson View Post
    I'll start...

FHM "Fuck Her Mother" , but only if she is a MILF.

Glad to be of assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by nostimos View Post
    AHHH! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    WAIT! Where's my hamster?!?!

VISIT:
    VISIT:
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ www.balisongwallpaper.com Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

JDBA # 34

Better than gold or platinum elusiveweasle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyTheAbyss View Post
    It's an acronym for "Filipino Hand Made". Matt Cook is the man if you're looking for a custom FHM.
    You can also contact Jay at pinoysteel.com or Armand Palacio. Matt Cook is indeed the man, but custom knives of the caliber he makes are deservedly priced accordingly.

R.I.P. Louis E. Cornu Jr USMC 01/24/46-09/15/02
    Louis E. Cornu Sr USCG 07/28/15-02/11/99

JDBA#0.91502

Images

Question

Ok since i got amnesty WTF is MILF?
    JDBA #48

JDBA..NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST ANYMORE click skulls to view my kydex sheaths

Quote Originally Posted by Linos View Post
    Ok since i got amnesty WTF is MILF?
    MILF- Mom I'd Like to Fuck

JDBA#0.91502

purple or blue, depends on the strength of your grip purpledc's Avatar
    On the subject of this thread. Is there any possible way we can merge this with the umpteen million dumb question threads all ready plaguing this forum? I think this would be a great resting place for all the VS. threads of knives that havent been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyTheAbyss View Post
    And while I agree with this statement Matt Cook Is based in the US and while he makes many high quality knives in the style of FHM a true FHM is not a very high quality knife in most cases. And by my standards and that of many others a true FHM needs to be made in the Philippines by traditional methods.

Quote Originally Posted by elusiveweasle View Post
    You can also contact Jay at pinoysteel.com or Armand Palacio. Matt Cook is indeed the man, but custom knives of the caliber he makes are deservedly priced accordingly.

Both of these options can get you a genuine FHM. Armand Palacio also makes and sells his own custom knives that are more of a full on custom rather than an FHM. FHM knives usually use High carbon blades which steel have most likely been salvaged from the leaf spring of a now non functional or unlucky functional vehicle in the region. The handles are usually some form of softer metal such as aluminum or brass and the handles are U channel with bolsters of the same metal (but not always the same metal). Quite often a natural handle scale such as bone or horn are used. The quality can vary greatly and from what Ive heard the best knives ARE NOT sold at tourist locations and buying from the mentioned above is the easiest way to get something that wont end up in a trash can.
    Last edited by purpledc; 11-08-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by purpledc View Post
    And while I agree with this statement Matt Cook Is based in the US and while he makes many high quality knives in the style of FHM a true FHM is not a very high quality knife in most cases. And by my standards and that of many others a true FHM needs to be made in the Philippines by traditional methods.
    I think the bali's made for the tourist trade in the phillipines are not of the best quality, real batangas made by master blacksmith in the phillipines are of very high quality. They aren't made for flipping though. That was never the intention of bali's originally.

JDBA#0.91502

are batangas bali's always oriented with the latch on the safe handle??

Quote Originally Posted by KaOsBlAkBlAdE View Post
    The last one I bought had the latch on the bite handle. I've never had an antique one though.

JDBA#0.91502

Quote Originally Posted by KaOsBlAkBlAdE View Post
    thats a manilla style latch.

Images
    Here's one maybe not so stupid. What does "Buyod" mean in relation to FHMs (great segway no?)

Is it just a name, or does it have meaning in the language? Or is it maybe like "Bowie", referring to a creator or famous user of that style of blade? Just wondering what the root is.

Google was no help. Guess I could drop Jay an email.

Quote Originally Posted by elusiveweasle View Post
    I think the bali's made for the tourist trade in the phillipines are not of the best quality, real batangas made by master blacksmith in the phillipines are of very high quality. They aren't made for flipping though. That was never the intention of bali's originally.
    For the sake of not wanting to have an argument we will have to agree to disagree. Im willing to accept the term "very high quality" as a relative term in this situation. If we want to say very high quality in respects to knives made completely by hand without the aid of modern tools and materials then yes I think they do fine. And Im not a flipper so while I agree they arent trick knives or designed to be as such I really dont agree that they are "very high quality" when compared to modern balisongs made by modern methods with modern steels. Ive seen many Batangas knives and have owned many. I feel they are on the same quality level as handmade italian stilettos and even those vary greatly. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by krhen View Post
    Here's one maybe not so stupid. What does "Buyod" mean in relation to FHMs (great segway no?)

Is it just a name, or does it have meaning in the language? Or is it maybe like "Bowie", referring to a creator or famous user of that style of blade? Just wondering what the root is.

Google was no help. Guess I could drop Jay an email.
    He is the first person Ive seen use that term. But I can only assume he is refering to the blade style or the Filipino word for bowie. But I would be lying If I said that I was sure of it.

Page 1 of 270 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information