I am planning a straight razor for my little brother who is just about to graduate college. He is a razor fanatic, but being a college boy...short on means. I want to make him one for his grad present, but damn...i need your help. I have some preliminary questions...let's just start here. Please offer any and all advice. Butch...if you're out there...I know you've got the goods.
1. what steels should I consider?
2. what corresponding hardness is appropriate for a razor?
3. hardware? what do I need?
4. grind geometry? for a 5/8 razor, which diameter wheel should I look at?
5. what is a reasonable spine thickness?
many thanks for any information. I want to make my little bro a happy man.