Thread: 'Asperger's is like selfishness on steroids'

'Asperger's is like selfishness on steroids'

I clicked a link from my homepage about a kid that stole his father's credit card and bought 2 flights to get to California. Apparently, the kid has Asperger's syndrome. On this particular site, people are allowed to post comments about the stories, almost in real time. Some of them are currently saying he should be beaten, some are saying he should be exempt because of his disability. One, in particular, is saying that Asperger's syndrome (commonly called a 'high functioning form of autism') is 'selfishness on steroids; it's related to autism so take it from there,' and that 'a great number of people with Asperger's are coming into maturity,' and that he was greatly distressed about it.

WTF?? I've known people with autism, I interact with them almost weekly at work, and I have never had any problems. One little girl touched my arm once, and call me sentimental, but it brightened my day a little bit. I have also known people with Asperger's. Ladies and gentlemen, Asperger's in not 'selfishness on steroids.' It's typically characterized by a lack of social cues; they don't pick up on vocal inflections in the voice, or express them properly themselves. Sometimes they sound a little monotone to others, when they sound very animated to themselves. They feel awkward among other people, often having difficulty making eye contact. They tend to have a couple of areas of interest that they enjoy heavily, and entertain themselves with; I've read that some people call children with Asperger's 'little professors' because of their atypical vocabulary and interest in esoteric things. They don't act rudely intentionally, they just don't work the same way regular people do.

So fuck you, buddy. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it. Fucking pissant.
    Liberty and justice for some; it is the new American dream. God bless America.

Images
    My son who is almost 15 has Aspergers, your description of someone who has Aspergers is so right on the money, very accurate. It's as if you have met my son and are describing him.

As for the comments made by someone about selfishness on steroids, the guy clearly has issues and to use a phrase that my son uses, he is clearly a fuckle head.

"A tuft of hair gotten from the head of a full-grown Brock is powerful to ward off all manner of witchcraft; these must be worn in a little bag made of cat's skin - a black cat - and tied about the neck when the moon be not more than seven days old, and under that aspect when the planet Jupiter be mid-heaven at midnight."

Quote Originally Posted by englishmark View Post
    fuckle head.
    T-shirt waiting to happen.

Images
    I have a good friend with aspergers, or that is the closest diagnosis he has ever gotten. He is one of the most interested albeit "crazy" person I have ever met. When I first met him years ago he wouldn't speak to anyone. Eventually I have gotten close enough to him, that he leaves me voicemail every other day. He has a website for the birdhouses he builds. http://cbirdhouses.blogspot.com/

to the selfishness guy-fuck off

shorter than endowed beergoddess's Avatar
    Images
    you are wise beyond your years. its so refreshing to see a guy your age with such a tremendous degree of empathy and intelligence. (my boy is high functioning autistic)
    My imaginary friends think you people have serious issues.

that's funny, my ex is convinced i have a mild form of Asberger's, because i'm an obsessive-compulsive prick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    ...I would spatula someone's ass to death first, based on principles alone.

m1

Quote Originally Posted by lachrymalex View Post
    i'm an obsessive-compulsive prick.
    I would be willing to vouch for 1/3 of that statement. In court. If you needed me to. I'm just that kind of guy.

totally hetero, no seriously tmbrcrafter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMan5000 View Post
    I would be willing to vouch for 1/3 of that statement. In court. If you needed me to. I'm just that kind of guy.
    That's damn funny right there....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by travistheone View Post
    He has a website for the birdhouses he builds. http://cbirdhouses.blogspot.com/
    Those birdhouses are fucking crazy man... I really like the white one, 10th from the bottom of the page. Damn those are cool as hell!
    Gonna miss you, SugarSkull.

Images
    If you think they are crazy, you should meet him. I can probably hook you up with one if you want.

Images
    I don't have anywhere to keep one here. I've never even been into birdhouses... but some of those just kinda blow my mind. I'd ask you to tell your friend that he has some awsome projects there, but after reading some of his site, I'm pretty sure he already knows that.

I'll get Mrs.SoToo to look at the site too... maybe she can fit one into her home decorating or something.
    Gonna miss you, SugarSkull.

high caliber consecrator tubtar's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrcrafter View Post
    That's damn funny right there....
    Fucking hilarious ........... no matter which third he was referring to.
    Which one was it ?

JDSSA # 257133023

Quote Originally Posted by tubtar View Post
    Fucking hilarious ........... no matter which third he was referring to.
    Which one was it ?
    Your guess is as good as mine.

My son has Asperger's also. One thing about it, though........there's NEVER a dull moment! Thanks for your post, TM5K.

VBR,

Den
    "Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
    "I think so, Brain, but this time YOU put the rubber pants on the chimp, O.K.?"

Atypical vocabulary and interested in esoteric things? That's most of JD.

I used to work with kids with developemental disabilities. Wasn't easy but selfish is the last word I'd use.
    -Art

Thread Information