Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Aqua Salt

Spyderco Aqua Salt

Spyderco Aqua Salt. A big Thank You to Spydeco and TazKristi for this great knife and support.

Whether sporting or laboring in saltwater two features rate highly in choosing a fixed blade utility knife, reliable cutting performance and the knife’s ability to remain rust free without maintenance. The knife industry toyed unsuccessfully with non-rusting steels for years until two years ago when Spyderco started manufacturing blades using an alloy called H-1. H1 is precipitation-hardened steel, utilizing .1% nitrogen instead of carbon. Carbon is the component in steel that makes the blade hard and allows it to hold an edge. Carbon also reacts to chloride, making rust. With nitrogen replacing the carbon; hardness and edge retention are realized but nitrogen doesn’t react to chloride so it physically cannot rust.

Aqua Salt’s H-1 blade is thick for hearty use with a weight reducing swedge grind on the spine. It is available fully PlainEdged or SpyderEdged and has a thin, hollow-ground cutting surface. For enhanced visibility the fiberglass reinforced nylon handle is available in cornea searing Marine Yellow or subdued black and comes aggressively textured keeping the knife in your hand even if wet, cold or slippery. Injection molded Fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) sheath with multi-position FRN G-Clip.

length overall 9 1/4" (235mm) blade length 4 11/16" (120mm) blade steel H-1
    length closed () cutting edge 4 1/4" (108mm) weight 4.2oz (119g)
    hole diameter 15/64" (6mm) blade thickness 1/8" (3mm)
    handle material FRN

Shipping order will be arranged geographically (not by sign up order). Please let me know if you think that there are any times in the next 3 to 6 months that might be a problem for you to receive the passaround and I’ll try to work around your schedule.

- The Rules -

By signing up or by participating in any way with this passaround you agree to meet and abide by all of the following rules, terms and conditions:

You must be an adult over 18 years of age and reside in the U.S.A. to sign up or participate in this passaround.

It is your responsibility to ensure that the passaround knife is used, carried and/or possessed in a safe and lawful manner from the time that it is delivered to you or your address until you mail it to the next participant.

You must agree to and abide by all of the Jerzeedevil.com passaround rules found here: http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10731

Also read and understand the following:

This comprises the "Shrink Wrap Warranty" for the passaround knife that is described elsewhere in this message. By participating in the passaround you agree and warrant that:

- You are considered an adult under your jurisdiction.

- You can legally posses, carry, ship and receive the passaround knife.

- You take full responsibility for this knife and its use while in your possession.

- That you are participating in research and your comments and conversations about the passaround knife are limited to JerzeeDevil forums.

Keep the passaround up to 2 weeks (this will vary by number of participants) and PERSONALLY send it to the next person by U.S.P.S. Priority Mail or equivalent shipping method/company, with delivery conformation and insured for $180.00 This will typically cost you about 8-12 dollars

When you receive the passaround please post in this thread as soon as possible so that we can keep track of it, also please post when you send it on to the next person.

And please, post a review (a few lines will do) in the Knife Review & Testing forum.

To sign up, post in this thread and EMAIL me (use the email in my profile) the following:

Passaround: Spyderco Aqua Salt
    JerzeeDevil screen name:
    Street address: (Please, no PO boxes)
    Email:
    HOME phone:
    Any other active passarounds that you are currently signed up for:

If you are new here or do not post frequently or if I have any problems confirming your sign up information, I will most likely need to contact you by email or phone for additional information. If you would like to have the passaround shipped to your work, please include your work street address, phone number/extension and company Email in addition to your home phone and street address.
    Last edited by MadDaddy; 03-04-2009 at 07:35 AM.
    Check Out The JD Pass Around Forum

Cpt. M.F.Welch 1945-1995...RIP Dad.

This IS the droid you are looking for! droid's Avatar
    Images
    I think I'd like to drive that one around the block!

E-mail on the way!

Andy

E-mail has been sent.
    Last edited by droid; 02-04-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Sent e-mail with requested data.
    Stapp's Law: "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

The Jello Gigolo silenthunterstudios's Avatar
    Images
    Pat, I would like to sign up for this. I think you have my information already.

Quote Originally Posted by silenthunterstudios View Post
    Pat, I would like to sign up for this. I think you have my information already.
    Do me a favor and email the info anyway, so I can put it in the "official pass file".

Causing panic attacks BennytheBlade's Avatar
    Images
    Im in.
    pm sent.

JDBA #.5

I know more about nothing than you ever will
    Images

Cool

I would like to try her out! Email coming :semper:

Images
    Sign me up for this one.

Former Village People Roadie Parker's Avatar
    Undocumented Worker Refugee Zone (Central CONUS)
    Images
    Interesting - PM inbound, Big Daddy!
    Internet Counseling Sessions available by appt. - $50/ session -

Specializing in butt-hurt and related topics you are convinced were caused by the Jerzee Devil, God, Obama or those damned Republicans, or really anyone else who hurt your feelings.

MAD DOG KNIVES AT THE JERZEE DEVIL??CLICK AND SEE!!

Bumpity.....I will give this on more week then start

Sign up is now closed, I will compile the list and get this started as soon as I can.

Ok, the list is...

silenthunterstudios
    Parker
    semper708
    BennytheBlade
    droid
    jimmyjo

This will go out on Monday.

I was advised SHS did get the Aqua Salt safe and sound. He is having computer issues so he won't be posting info or an opinion too soon.

Images
    Yo, Big Daddy - the Aqua Salt arrived in Chicago Metro today - the box looks like it was used for target practice, but the knife is fine.

Initial impressions - I'm not sure what it's supposed to be - a dive knife would want to have a beefier point instead of the goofy little recurve at the tip - I need to do a little research of H1 and see what it's supposed to be like, but I would guess this is supposed to be a diving/ snorkeling blade. Handle is very sticky, aggressive texture. I wonder if it would chew up your hand once you spent all day in the water.

The sheath offers excellent retention, the clip is sized for a smallish belt, but this should not be a problem if you are wearing the usual tourista type shorts. It seems like it could be mounted about 87 ways. I do not care for the use of Chicago screws for this, as it is prone to loosening up and losing the knife. I don't care if it is bright yellow - if you can't get below 10 feet and you drop it off your belt in water 45 feet deep cuz the clip came off....

I'll get a couple photos of it with my pair of salt water blades, and do some chores with it. I am concerned about the tip, frankly, not a lot of mass up there for something which could easily turn into an underwater prybar. If that last 3/8 of the blade was turned up instead of curving slightly down, I think it would be a more useable blade for someone serious about their gear.

Thanks again for the passaround, I'll run it thru some paces this weekend. How corrosion resistant is H1 supposed to be?

Specializing in butt-hurt and related topics you are convinced were caused by the Jerzee Devil, God, Obama or those damned Republicans, or really anyone else who hurt your feelings.

Thanks for the update

Images
    So I had a chance over the weekend, when it was not raining, snowing or otherwise being genuinely shitty, to give the AS a light ring-out.

Given that our backyard is the second lowest lot on the block and I'm in Dupage County, otherwise known as the West Marshes and Swamps of the Chicago Metropolotain Area, it's only fitting that this knife is designed to work in a wet environment.

I took the opportunity to therefore give it a fair comparison to three other knives I've used in wet and soggy environments.

Those knives are a Bark River Went Environment Recon, which I bought from Derrick when these were made, an Entrek Jag, which sports a 440C tanto point blade and a Mad Dog ATAK. The ATAK was designed and built for SEALs and they tend to spend a little time around water now and again.

The ATAK is about 15 years old at this point, and has seen some use to be sure. The blade is 01 tool steel and has a handle made of a G10-like composite. The blade was hardchromed at the time of build.

The Jag is a little over a year old, spent a week in the Gulf of Mexico and has been carried extensively while I've been running or just wanted a knife which I would have a hard time breaking. I sweat buckets of salt water, so this knife has had a LOT of time in salinated environments. It has a 440C blade which shows a little freckling on it and has a canvas Micarta handle, which has been blasted to expose the pores more efficiently.

The Bark River spent a week in the Pacific and also has spent time as a running blade. The blade is I believe 12C27 and it has a blaze orange G10 handle. This handle still needs to be sand blasted, since I have been unable to rough it to the degree I'd prefer.

The Aqua Salt has a blade made of H1, which feels a lot lighter than steel, and in talking with Mad Daddy, develops a wire edge immediately. The handle is made of some yellow plastic. It is exceptionally aggressively textured - I'll give you a couple pics below, but the handle itself is a detriment to the use of the knife in my opinion. I LIKE strong retention, but this is so aggressive it will chew up your hand if it's wet, badly.

Since we are looking at a wet environment knife, what the hell - let's see what they look like under water - if you drop it, you may want to find it!

Yes, this is underwater in my yard - we've had a bit of rain recently....

Leo is not a lot of help, but he loves to stand in the water, usually right before he wants to go inside

I'm huge believer in kydex for a water knife. The kydex has to have a drain hole, and as you can see, all of my knives have a flexible mounting system - either P-cord or nylon webbing. The Aqua Salt has a G-clip. I tried this for about 3 seconds on my belt yesterday before a run in the rain, and took it off in favor of the Entrek. The hard mount is just impractical - it moves against you, not with you.

The Entrek looks great up close despite a LOT of salt-time

I've not babied the Bark River either - it's been stropped a bunch of times, dinked, banged about and while scratched, the saber grind is durable and the convex gets hella sharp for a dive blade

I wanted a quick pic of the ATAK blade and had not looked at this pic until now. I'm the second owner, and neither of us have been entirely gentle. I'm just smiling at how this came out.

This pic is of the edge of the Spyderco - it's a new knife, but the H1 steel does not seem to be very durable - it took a dimple to one side under what would be considered somewhat hard, but certainly common use of an outdoor and wet-use knife.

I ran the knives thru a quick set of cuts, hacks stabs, digs, twists and just general rough handling on a 4x4. The edge on the H1 suffered a dink. More to the point, while the weird point configuration is more durable than i would have imagined, the hollow grind on the lightweight blade is a pretty lightweight cutter.

I took pics of the contrasting handles as well - I did a bunch of knifey stuff with them immediately after taking them out of the cold water - it's not the same as spending a day in the water with them, but it's a quick approximation of the knive and their comfort over time.

As you can see, the Spyderco handle has a lot of little sharp edges and a sharp ridge. It's also too scrawny behind the mid-grip swell and I never felt like a comfortable grip was attained with it. It's both sharp and undersized, which means you may never be able to obtain a grip which inspires confidence. It hurt to cut, dig, twist and poke.

The Entrek is a very comfortable and secure handle either bare handed or with gloves on, wet or dry.

The Bark River is comfortablly shaped and is great with snorkel gloves on. It's still a little slick for my tastes dry, but wet it seems pretty okay. I may well just radius the index finger area a little more and that may do what i want as well.

Unsurprisingly, the most secure and comfortable handle in the group was my ATAK. They really are ergonomic wonders. It was no less secure wet than dry, and with gloves on that does not change one whit.

Overall, I've been entirely pleased with my ownership and using experience of the ATAK, the Entrek and the Bark River.

The Aqua Salt needs a flexible retention method for the sheath to your person. That's an easy and simple fix.

The handle would I think be radically improved by use of a palm sander and some fine grit paper, or just my favorite flexible sanding pad and about five-ten minutes.

The blade needs to be sharper, which should be easy enough to do on an EZ Lap or Norton stone. I'm not pleased with how easily it dinked, but it is a $90 blade, if that.

On the plus side, the bright yellow handle and somewhat tacky looking sheath will look like tourist gear, which i believe it is. In it's current form, you take it to the beach with your kids or dog, and you have a handy blade which will cut up hot dogs, open beer cans, dig stuff out of the rocks for your kids, open shellfish up to feed the fish, and such.

It's handle is woefully uncomfortable as it comes in the standard fencing or reverse/ icepick grips (as it turns out, we hold a knife the same way when doing chores as playing ninja), but when turned edge-up for those pulling type cuts, it's pretty okay - could be better, but again, 10 minutes with some sandpaper and you're in business.

As you can see by the first picture, the handle is just a lot narrower/ slimmer than the Entrek or the Bark River, and certainly than the ATAK. These knives are designed for a lot of use under less than ideal conditions, and what I've found is that the worse the conditions, the more the handle matters. The Spyderco folks really should beef the handle on these up, a lot. The hook for the rear is okay, but I'de prefer to see the handle a little fatter, rounder and more for a serious user than the toy it currently is. This would also make the knife a lot more effective as a cutting utensil since you could drive it harder. Give it a flat grind, who knows?

Bottom line, you could do a lot worse than this at the local dive shop and buy Underwater Kinetics' newest PC dragon-slayer. I'll toss this in as well - between the uber-high visibility of the handle, and the size of the blade on this knife, it can act as a sort of road flare/ security device for your family as well. Lots of tourist destinations are also havens for theives and hooligans of all natures, and while I'm not advocating you get into a knife duel with cretins on their home turf, it's proven that if you do not look like the easy meal at the table, they will look elsewhere. Reason enough to drag it along with you, plus you get to feel like Robinson Crusoe meets Jacques Cousteau.

Plus, who wants to use a purple-handled knife with a blunt point to cut the kids' hamburgers when you can use this and they exclaim "Wow Dad, that's a cool knife!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information