Thread: Can ammo be sent through the mail?

Images

Can ammo be sent through the mail?

Maybe I'm getting paranoid in my old age, but does anyone think that the USPS sniffs all the packages for gunpowder or explosives? I don't think ammo is permitted through the mail, I wonder what the penalties are?

I'm asking because I'm starting to collect ammo and I was going to ask if someone could toss a couple of rounds (or a whole box - I'd pay, of course) of Hornady V-Max 5.7x28mm in a box a just drop it in the mail. I don't think that round is sold locally (only 2 gunstores in the state with some of the strictest gun laws, go figure) and no one I contacted would ship a couple of boxes to me, even if I paid for the shipping. I'm just intrigued by that round, partly because of all the hype and partly because it's so damn hard to get.

I dunno, how dumb (or not) would it be for someone to drop a box of 5.7 into a Priority Flat Rate box and send it to me? I don't want to ask if that someone might get in trouble. Thanks.
    NRA Life Member
    NJKCA Honorary Member

Current EDCs: EKI CQC-8, Spyderco Yojimbo 2, ZT0300BW

Images
    That's possible big trouble dude. Even though its not as easy and cost more, UPS ground is legal.

Don't give Big Brother an excuse to come get ya
    It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!

Sailing the seas of cheese ilovekittens's Avatar
    Images
    My brother inlaw got busted for recieving 3 coffee cans full of weed threw the mail. He eventually beat the charges stating he didn't know who sent the package, so if the post office calls you after business hours saying they will wait for you to pick up the package don't show. I don't know him all that well, but I don't think people mail that much dope to a person just to fuck with them. Not sure if those dogs sniffers smell for gun powder too. ILK
    Be Afraid!
    Just because you can throw it dosnt mean its ninja

They have

machines to sniff for explosives. Ammo must be marked as dangerous goods (ORM-D); send it via UPS or FEDEX...
    Some of us has decided to add your name to the list of never sell to; we suggest you step back from your keyboard and take a 1-2 year break fro the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Maybe I'm getting paranoid in my old age, but does anyone think that the USPS sniffs all the packages for gunpowder or explosives? I don't think ammo is permitted through the mail, I wonder what the penalties are?

I'm asking because I'm starting to collect ammo and I was going to ask if someone could toss a couple of rounds (or a whole box - I'd pay, of course) of Hornady V-Max 5.7x28mm in a box a just drop it in the mail. I don't think that round is sold locally (only 2 gunstores in the state with some of the strictest gun laws, go figure) and no one I contacted would ship a couple of boxes to me, even if I paid for the shipping. I'm just intrigued by that round, partly because of all the hype and partly because it's so damn hard to get.

I dunno, how dumb (or not) would it be for someone to drop a box of 5.7 into a Priority Flat Rate box and send it to me? I don't want to ask if that someone might get in trouble. Thanks.
    You can only ship ammo thru a private shipper ie: UPS ,FED EX. I also have a5.7x28 and the ammo is getting very high . It was 16$ a box of 50 now its around 32 $ sportsmanguide.com had some last time I looked good luck Bubba

Quote Originally Posted by ilovekittens View Post
    My brother inlaw got busted for recieving 3 coffee cans full of weed threw the mail. He eventually beat the charges stating he didn't know who sent the package, so if the post office calls you after business hours saying they will wait for you to pick up the package don't show. I don't know him all that well, but I don't think people mail that much dope to a person just to fuck with them. Not sure if those dogs sniffers smell for gun powder too. ILK

yeah........................that would be quite an expensive "prank" to play on someone

When you can't run anymore, you crawl

if you can't crawl, you find somebody to carry you.

Former Village People Roadie Parker's Avatar
    Undocumented Worker Refugee Zone (Central CONUS)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brock View Post
    yeah........................that would be quite an expensive "prank" to play on someone

But if anyone has three coffee cans of weed they want to prank someone with, I have a "friend" who would gladly take them.....just sayin' is all

I just sent one of our forumites a couple hundred rounds of ammo I had no use for, ORD-M marked UPS ground, got there in a couple days.

You are SOL if you live in Hawaii - ground is a bitch. I would also bet that AK would be hard since it involves borders.
    Internet Counseling Sessions available by appt. - $50/ session -

Specializing in butt-hurt and related topics you are convinced were caused by the Jerzee Devil, God, Obama or those damned Republicans, or really anyone else who hurt your feelings.

www.northeast-IL-outfitters.com
    Cutlery and Accoutrements for the Urbane and Savage Gentleman

MAD DOG KNIVES??

JDBA BaliBro 1016 (pending)

Images
    Thanks for the responses; that is, unfortunately, what I thought.

UPS Ground is OK for most things, probably even to Alaska... but to Hawaii, it has to go on a plane sooner or later. I looked into shipping a whole bunch of ammo a while back, and it is worth it if I buy several cases. But, for one box of ammo, it's not worth paying the hazardous material charges.

Some shippers would send via boat, but it would have to be more than a couple of cases and it would take 4 - 6 weeks to get to me.

A few years ago, most of the airlines would let you pack 1 or 2 boxes of ammo in checked luggage - I wonder if that has changed? I'll be in Las Vegas this summer, maybe I can just bring back a box of ammo.
    NRA Life Member
    NJKCA Honorary Member

Images
    You still can bring a couple boxes on a plane, but they usually get picky about original boxes, etc. Call the airline and go to the TSA website for more info on that, and I ALWAYS take a printed copy of the TSA regs for my carry on stuff, I would do the same for guns/ ammo/ anything else interesting in my checked bags.

Specializing in butt-hurt and related topics you are convinced were caused by the Jerzee Devil, God, Obama or those damned Republicans, or really anyone else who hurt your feelings.

MAD DOG KNIVES??

It is completely illegal to send ammo through the mail but

It is completely illegal to send ammo Primers or gunpowder through the mail, but it can be shipped to you by UPS although there is an additional hazmat charge of $20 or $25 I think. I do not believe that you can ship it to someone else but I am not sure.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    It is completely illegal to send ammo Primers or gunpowder through the mail, but it can be shipped to you by UPS although there is an additional hazmat charge of $20 or $25 I think. I do not believe that you can ship it to someone else but I am not sure.
    vbj, you most certainly can. I just did so, declared it and all. It's like shipping anything else, just follow the proper procedures.

MAD DOG KNIVES??

yes Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    vbj, you most certainly can. I just did so, declared it and all. It's like shipping anything else, just follow the proper procedures.
    and Mother Parker's shipment arrived unscathed...

I have an approximate 30# box of shotgun shells ready to take to FEDEX this afternoon (they are far superior to UPS WRT shipping guns and ammo here locally). I have a roll of ORM-D stickers, the required label to use when shipping ammo. If you ship more then 60# it must go by common carrier, not an express company.
    Some of us has decided to add your name to the list of never sell to; we suggest you step back from your keyboard and take a 1-2 year break fro the internet.

Images
    I just checked Delta Airline's website and I can bring back up to 11 pounds of live ammo in checked baggage as long as the ammo is in some kind of container meant for safely transporting ammo. Cardboard is mentioned so I assume that the original box is fine. I guess I will be making a trip to the Gun Store in Las Vegas to look for some hard to find ammo.
    NRA Life Member
    NJKCA Honorary Member

Sending Ammunition through the US mail is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    This is directly from the USPS regulations, please check the referenced section attached below. My posting referred to it being illegal to use the US Postal System not UPS or Fedex. I said that I was not sure about them.

Sending Ammunition through the US mail is illegal. If you did it the people at your post office made a serious mistake and you are asking for trouble.

341.21 Nonmailable Explosives

Nonmailable explosives found in the mailstream must be immediately reported in accordance with POM 139.117.

Nonmailable explosives include, but are not limited to, the following:

Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    This is directly from the USPS regulations, please check the referenced section attached below. My posting referred to it being illegal to use the US Postal System not UPS or Fedex. I said that I was not sure about them.

Sending Ammunition through the US mail is illegal. If you did it the people at your post office made a serious mistake and you are asking for trouble.

341.21 Nonmailable Explosives

Nonmailable explosives found in the mailstream must be immediately reported in accordance with POM 139.117.

Nonmailable explosives include, but are not limited to, the following:

Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing.
    I was a little overcaffienated today - what I was referring to was your or my ability to ship common carrier/ fedex/ ups. Sorry about not being more specific.

MAD DOG KNIVES??

Thread Information