I've had this on file for some time now, and since it's the bigger one I've made to date, I've decided to take some pics of the preocess.
Because of the big size, I had to do the chains separatedly from the inner steel core and then unite them in a second step.
12 pieces of motorcycle chain cut to measure 9" each.
Soldiered in groups of 3 chains each.
Soldiered the previous groups, one on top of the other. Now I have 2 groups of 6 pieces of chain each.
In the oven at 850 C
I press the group between flat dies to compress the intersticial space between links.
Each group, already pressed.
Now I place those chain groups on the sides of a 1/4" 5160 flatsheet and soldier on the ends to fix them in place.
Then I make a square section cannister.
And then I place the package of steel inside it and then close it.
In the oven at 1300 C
Press welding the package.
I then get rid of the cannister easily (thanks to a sheet of 0.5mm thickness in 304 stainless I've placed against each side.
Package out of its container
Flattening to the desired thickness.
Customer supplied drawing placed in top of the damascus bar. For this type of damascus, forging to shape might be detrimental to the knife, so I just cut it to shape.
Ground, drilled and tempered blade before getting into the ferric perclorure.
In the background, you can also see a chain san mai tanto I've made from an earlier forging, where I didn't get the desired size of the original damascus sheet.
Blade out of the acid bath, with no extra polishing, just washed in water with amonnia to kill the acid effects.
In hand for an idea of size (this thing is huge!)
That's it for now, I'll get more pics of the handle making process and of the finished piece later too.
More Tutorials on my website:
Sign up for my Newsletter:
Thanks for looking!