Thread: Bark River Lil Chute

The Devil's General The General's Avatar
    Images

Bark River Lil Chute

For now I have to use a stock photo of this knife till I can get the chance to take some photo's in the dry or when the weather improves a little.

Still I had the chance to try this knife out last Sunday in some woods I visit about five miles from where I live. A nice place called Marl woods where it is possible to lose yourself for a little while.

The Bark River Lil Chute is a very interesting knife in my opinion. Its just under a 4" blade and is of morticed tang construction. Whats a morticed tang you may ask? Well if you look, its a full tang knife, but the bottom of the tang is coved by the handle. This means you have no steel where the finger groves are on this knife. There are several arguments for and against this style of tang, but from my experience I would say the following.

Its a very thick spine for this knife anyhow so any reduction in strength over a full exposed tang would be marginal at best. The knife is warmed to the hand as your fingers and in paricular when using the knife are more sensitive to the cold a full exposed tang can give. It gives a marginal improvement in grip as the Micarta gives a better purchase than plain steel. It reduces weight and reduces the parts on the knife open to corrosion. So on this knife I prefer the Moriced tang!

Lets talk about corrosion. We have all seen how a well made carbon steel knife can take and hold a great edge, but if you forget to wipe it down or your gear gets wet... Now many still argue they prefer a carbon blade over any stainless knives for several reasons. I accept and appreciate that a steel like A2 carbon is hard to beat, it takes and holds a great edge, it is tough so it won't break easily or chip out easily... oh and its easy to sharpen.

This knife however is NOT made from carbon steel. Its made from STAINLESS steel! OK, that is nothing new, but if carbon steel is still very popular, why have knives in stainless steel been frowned upon by many? Well its like this, the elements that make a knife stainless also make it less able to hold an edge, less tough and less easy to sharpen. So a stainless knife generally only has the advantage of being less likely to rust. Modern super steels like S30V and VG-10 are greatly improved, but try sharpening these steels in the field... Not easy unless you have the right gear and knife know how. Plus they contain so much carbon, they will rust with little effort if you leave blood or similar on them.

Well this Lil Chute is made from Sandvick 12C27 stainless steel. I have used this steel in several knives and never been impressed or happy with it till now. Normally you see this knife hardened to a RC of around 55 or so and while it was stain resistant and tough at this level, the edge holding was not all that great. Very much like 440a or AUS-6 steel. It was a reasonable but hardly stella performing basic stainless steel.

Well Bark River and Mike Stewart have given me a new perspective on this steel! This knife is hardened right up there to 58 or 59 on the Rockwell scale and what a difference this makes! Suddenly this is a very more interesting steel. I spoke to Mike at length about this and he explained how a very complex and little known heat treat is used to bring out qualities in this steel otherwise not tapped into. You see Sandvick steels have a rare quality... purity. With the right heat treat and process its possible to push this steel beyond what on paper it ought to be capable of.

OK, so you have heard this kind of hype before, but the proof is in the using... right? Fine, so what did I do? Well I took the Lil Chute for a little try out in the woods. I did not take the digi camera as it was wet. Bloody wet in fact. Raining hard and seriously, there was no way I was going to take the camera out in that. So, I used the knife to cut some wood, batoned some thick branches and used the knife to prep a fire. I cut bark from dead trees and made a bundle of feather sticks for the fire. At this point I noticed something. The edge was holding up brilliantly and the Kydex sheath this knife came with was great! I was really glad of this over a leather sheath in this weather! It gives a very secure hold onto the knife. I also noticed that the wetter that my hands became the better my grip on the knife became. This Micarta used by Bark River is very grippy stuff and I will try my soapy hands test on it soon to see if its as good as I think it is.

Well, I am working a lot of hours in work at the moment, so I really don't get the time to get out into the woods as much as I want to, god knows there are a dozen or so knives I really want to try out in the field and get some good photo's of it in action.

Well the rain was really pouring now and the thunder and lightening were flashing in the distance and to be blunt I was getting really cold and wet. My hands were begginging to shake a little and I was finding it quite hard to concentrate on what I was doing. I found myself in hindsight using this little knife quite hard. I started prying and batoning with less than great technique and I found myself wishing I had my Forester with me for this part of the task!

Bear in mind I am now complaining about a sub 4" fixed blade when performing tasks a much larger knife is most often used for or even an axe! Well I will tell you one thing. This knife never slipped once. Never failed to keep cutting and never made me think twice about anything other than getting that bloody fire lit and getting me warm!

I forgot to mention that I had errected a British Army DPM Basha to give me some cover and a bit of respite from the wind, but big drops of rain were finding themselves through the tree cover and I knew I needed to get warm real fast! It was a good walk through the woods to get back to the main road and a bus ride home (it is North Wales you know!) and I was damned if I would leave without getting this fire lit.

I decided to cheat a little, I had some cotten wool balls with me coved in vasaline and strips of rubber tire from an inner tube of a mountain bike. I used my Blastmatch to get the little bundle going and then I made sure the feather sticks and dry inner bark shavings were well covered and blew gently till the bundle burst into flames. I was very careful to use large sections of bark to keep the rain of the fire and I then stated feeding the split and quartered branches to the fire, always being careful to feed it only the dryest sections of wood I had. I then placed the green and wet wood around the fire to dry out and sat back while the fire built up nicely.

It was at this point that the thunder and lightening really started to get close, so I pulled the Lil Chute from the wood stump and gave it a little wipe with the trouser leg of my BDU's and glanced briefly at the edge. No obvious signs of damage or wear. I waited till I had warmed up and dried out a little and to be blunt the weather was really closing in and I had my shealter strung between two tree's so I decided I better leave.

I carefully put out the fire and scattered the sign that there had been a fire. I made sure it was compleatly out and waited several mins after it seemed to be out before leaving. I used the Lil Chute to do a little digging at the fire pit and make sure there were no more embers or buring materials still going. The rain was so significant at this point I decided to put my Army poncho on over my SAS smock. I would have worn this before, but it gets in the way when you are working and it does not react well to fire or heat! Well the fire was out so I gave the knife a good wipe down and left the scene.

Well tonight a week later I remembered about this knife and pulled it out from my backback and noticed the following. The blade and handle were darkened from the use so I used some flitz polish on the handle and blade. Came right back, it was just sooty dirt. The Kydex felt a little gritty so I washed it out and its fine now.

The edge held up very very well, there were a couple of spots on the blade where the edge had dulled slightly, so I used some more Flitz on cardboard and it came right back with a little work. Nothing serious and the vast majority of the edge would still shave hair, though not as brilliantly till I got the edge polished with the Flitz. Five Mins work and the edge is scary sharp again. My thoughts on this? Brilliant! No corrosion and an edge that did not fail me.

Now that I have the time to sit here and think about this knife some more I find myself looking at it and thinking. What is this knife? Is it a military knife or a camping knife? Is it a hunting knife? Do you know what? I really don't know. It has a very stout and usable tip, though its not long enough as a knife to be a fighting knife. I think the finger grooves work very well and I love the kydex. Let me stress this again. The Kydex is one of the best examples of the kind I have ever seen! Its certainly not a cheapo made one.

So, what is this knife? Bloody usable and dependable in my opinion, easy and light to carry and very very strong. If I had a prefence I would like this knife with a 5" blade, thats my only complaint, I wanted a little more edge. Oh and for once the little guard (Nikel Silver) did not get in the way at all and yet provided just enough to allow choking up on the blade for feather sticks and a nice thumb placement spot.

Buy one of these right now!
    Last edited by The General; 01-30-2007 at 01:08 PM.
    R.I.P. Robert William Bartoli Jr. 1962~2006
    NJKCA# 43
    Original Ti SPORKBOY!
    Mike# 136
    MNOAF-Royal Anointed Grand Poo-Baa

Quote Originally Posted by GogDog View Post
    Why? Assassin apes are about as cool as it gets.

Thanks mate another to add to the list.
    Took my forester out for a trip in the woods today :O most impressed! Now THATS a knife!

Images
    Yes, the Forester is one hell of a knife! I did an intital impressions review of the Forester a little while ago and I can't wait to get it out to the woods properly!

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/sh...ight=forrester
    NJKCA# 43
    Original Ti SPORKBOY!
    Mike# 136

Wirral, UK or as know localy the land of the dead!
    great review, sounds like you had fun testing it. it the top edge sharp??

Images
    NJKCA# 43
    Original Ti SPORKBOY!
    Mike# 136

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd-UK View Post
    great review, sounds like you had fun testing it. it the top edge sharp??
    No, the top edge is not sharp, it is almost full thickness till the last couple of cm where it tapers to the tip.
    NJKCA# 43
    Original Ti SPORKBOY!
    Mike# 136

Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool Mike Stewart's Avatar
    Images
    Wayne,

Thanks you for the Review.

It does , indeed, Sound like you had a good time testing it.

I just answered this in PM to You but I thought I would get it out in the open so we are all Clear on it.

We don't sharpen the False Edge on Our knives.

There are a Couple of Reasons.

One--It makes the knife less of a tool and prevents batoning.

Secondly-It also is much harder to use as a Draw knife.

The Third Reason is one of legality.

Not for us--For the Customer.

In most places--it is not legal to Carry a Double Edged Knife. The penalties can be pretty Stiff in some places.

Here in Michigan--you can Carry almost any kind of knife--unless it's Double Edged.

That is a Ticket to Jail.

In most places--it is not illegal to Own a Double Edged Knife. It is carrying them and using them that is at issue.

If someone asks--we will sharpen the False Edge--They have to understand that they may get in trouble with it and we can't help them.

A knife with a Sharpened False Edge is most likely going to be viewed as a Weapon--not a Tool.

I hope that Answers this issue for everyone.

We will do it but you have to send the knife back for the Modification.

Thanks,

Mike...............................:spin:
    BRKCA #01 Mike
    NJKCA #041

MY AVATAR

" I Am America "

RIP Chris + 1

Images
    Cheers Mike!

I did have a good time, though I underestimated the weather a little. To be blunt I would not normally have gone out in that weather unless I was prepared to stay the night and get a good shelter set up.

It was one of those... "I just needed to get out for a few hours and hit the woods to release the stress days"

It was fun, but it was getting serious so I bugged out. We had ball lightening and everything that day/night. A lot of damage to Wales and power outs all over the place. There's me in my gear getting a fire going and loving every second of it.

Nice knife.
    NJKCA# 43
    Original Ti SPORKBOY!
    Mike# 136

Thanks for the great review Wayne, am very tempted just bought a BRKT Forager and love it "Orange G10 rules" have stayed away from stainless because most i've tried have been sods to sharpen in the field or far to soft, this could tempt me, in Orange G10 ?.

Cheers,

G
    Chwarae Gyda'r Diafoliaid

Thanks for the great review. I bought one as soon as it came out but for a number of reasons, the primary one being knee surgery, I haven't been able to use it at all other than around the house. But I like it so much, I plan on buying another. I also liked your thoughts on the sheath. I did buy a leather one though from JRE just to have the option.

Steve :jdevil:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    Wayne,

In most places--it is not legal to Carry a Double Edged Knife. The penalties can be pretty Stiff in some places.

A knife with a Sharpened False Edge is most likely going to be viewed as a Weapon--not a Tool.

Thanks,

Mike...............................:spin:
    I am often in awe of the wisdom that our legislators display. Geeez, this is frustrating, isnít it? Sorry for the mini-rant, people. Every so often it gets to me.

Great knife. Practical, well designed, attractive and above all useful.
    "Jersey Lightning"

Thread Information