Thread: JD Family - We need your help...

Exclamation JD Family - We need your help...

Hi. I'm Likwid_Cid. I'm new here.

OK. Now that I got that out of the way, I have something I wish to share with the fine people of JD. I know I don't post much here as of right now but I do come here often. And I am working on some posts to entertain at least myself and hopefully some of you. But this post here is about something that needs to be changed.

THE HOME PAGE...

At this moment the home page is close to a year old and it's content consists of some crap about some upgrade or maintenance.

Today I got tired of it and started to brainstorm on what we can fill it with. I came up with the idea of knife reviews done by the fine knife connoisseurs of JD. I ran this by LaBella and thinks it's a great idea and he too knows the home page sucks. We just need some of your help and ideas on how we are going to execute this.

Now before I continue, I must say that I am a complete knife noob. I don't know anything about them besides how to cut people... I'm Puerto Rican. It's in my blood. So you won't be seeing any reviews by me. I'm just trying to make this awesome community even better by putting a suggestion out there. It's up to all of you if you wish to do something with it.

Now we already have a review sub-forum, which I am posting this in. We have several really good reviews too. LaBella says that it's only a button press away to publish posts on the homepage. So that is already taken care of. What we hope to accomplish with this post is come up with a guideline of what should be included in a review or how to go about writing one so it has a better chance of making it on the “front page”. This is where I need your help because I don't know shit about knives.

What should be included in a knife review? When you are thinking of buying a knife, what do you look into? What is MANDATORY to be in a knife review?

Craftsmanship – How well is this knife made
    Ergonomics – How it feels in your hand while using it
    Value – Is it worth the money spent
    Appearance – How “sexy” the knife is
    Pictures – Let's see the sucker

I'm just throwing stuff out there. As I have said, I am out of my element here.

Then what are some optional things that could be added to the review to spice things up?

Video – It could be of the knife in action, being opened and closed, or getting a nice 360 degree look at the knife.
    History – It could be of the knife if the review is on a newer version. It could be history of the company making it.
    Various random facts
    Some humor

I don't know... You tell me.

This is a guideline that we can follow to make a review that will have a good chance to make it on the front page. A guideline is just a guide. It doesn't have to be followed 100%. It's to help those that may not know where exactly to start or what is desired in a review.

Proper grammar is highly appreciated but we will not require that people be English majors to get their review published. I suggest writing your review in a word processing program like MS Word or Libre Office (free) http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ They have built in spell checkers and you can save your work as you make the review. I'm actually using it for this post because I hate unexpected things happening and having to retype something when it could have been avoided.

Pics are BIG plus. Such a big plus that I think it's mandatory. People want to see what you are talking about.

Each review would have the same amount time up on the front page. This is so people can ask the reviewer some things about the knife that may not have been answered in the thread in where the review originated, for thanking the reviewer, giving him praise, and even positive criticism. Depending how big a pool of solid reviews we can muster up will determine the time period that each review is held up there. If we are slow and can't generate many, it could be a week that each review is left up. If we can generate a constant stream it could be as short as 3 days or two. Personally, I think 3 days should be the minimum so everyone can get a chance to read it and ask an unanswered question.

I also talked about him briefly about what the reviewer would get for getting it published. I threw out the idea of stickers, those business cards he had recently got printed out, or possibly nothing at all. If people do get something for their contributions, it doesn't have to be necessarily something for each one. You might get sticker, cards or whatever after doing 3 reviews. After 20 published reviews, you could get a sweatshirt... I don't know. I am just throwing ideas out there. There may not be anything for anyone for adding to the site besides praises and thank yous from the JD family. Also knowing that you are adding to the greatness that is JD by getting a review up could be reward enough. I know I am doing this right here with no desire to gain anything out of it. Just knowing that I am trying to help JD take a step forward is enough for me.

So... people of JD, what do you say? Is this a good idea? Do you propose another idea for what we can do to the “front page”? Tell us? Help us mold this idea.

Just a reminder... what I want to accomplish with this thread is determine a solid guideline of what is desired in a review for a knife. The guide does not need to be followed 100%. It's just to help people know what we would like to see in a review and what are the things that a review needs to have so it can make it to the front page. What things can be added to spice things up?

This is your community. It's what you make it. So far, you have all been making it a spectacular place. Can we take it to a new level?

LaBella, is there anything you wish to add to this?

Images
    LaBella, is there anything you wish to add to this?
    That would be " Mr. LaBella "

Things I see missing from a lot of reviews ;

Accurate specs --- how long is the blade , handle , steel type , and PRICE & AVAILABILTY.

Background on reviewer --- apx. age , hand size , body frame , military or police background etc.

A "standardized" test --- paper cutting , 2X4 chop , etc.

I'll add to this post in awhile.
    Oderint Dum Metuant
    "Let them hate,as long as they fear"

No Balis = NO BALLS

Safe Sex ??? NOTHING Safe Having Sex With DaBird.
    "Black and Blue , I LOVE YOU , Hit It Till It HURTS"

Life Member NRA , Life Member USPSA

Momma said I'd go blind OnceBitten's Avatar
    Images
    Knife Reviews on the Home Page would be redundant.

If you/we feel that something is critically lacking, let's post a sticky and tune that shit up.

The Home Page should be a "What's Happening Right Fucking Now" page similar to a newspaper's front page.

I think that first and foremost, we should see pics of available JD Gear and girls competing for "Hot on JerzeeDevil" (no nudity/Model Releases required). There could be prizes.

Makers and Dealers should also be granted some space on a Per Diem, weekly, or monthly basis to advertise their presence at a reasonable charge......kind of like a "Dealer Spotlight" scenario.

This site that we love does not come without a price. So far, one Man is, and has been, footing the Bill. Payback is due.

Let's make the Home Page a Shameless Quest for Cash to keep the 'Devil fed.

It makes sense, and...it's about time that we think about ways of making money and keeping things healthy.

My 1.9 cents.
    RIP Jerry "DaBird" Lameka 1957-2012. Rest peacefully, buddy. We'll never forget you.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................

READ THE RULES
    . We don't ask for much. Respect the Forum and its Members. Okay.....not all of them

Quote Originally Posted by DaBird View Post
    That would be " Mr. LaBella "

haha My apologies. I've known the little fella before he became an internet celebrity with JD.

Thanks for your input.

----

OnceBitten, thanks for the input.

Posting this is part of us trying to find a solution to what to do with the home page. I was just throwing an idea out there with what to do with the homepage but also asked within the post to what are the opinions of JD.

Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool Mike Stewart's Avatar
    Images
    I think we need to post some reviews where the person opens the box - touches the knife all over and then says that it is nice.

The reviewer should then tell you all the things you could find out about the knife by clicking on any ad for the knife.

Under no circumstances should the reviewer actually use the knife or cut stuff or chop stuff unless it is just paper on his Mom's washing machine.

It should not be taken outside or even shown on the belt in a real time using situation.
    BRKCA #01 Mike
    NJKCA #041

MY AVATAR

" I Am America "

RIP Chris + 1

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    I think we need to post some reviews where the person opens the box - touches the knife all over and then says that it is nice.

The reviewer should then tell you all the things you could find out about the knife by clicking on any ad for the knife.

Under no circumstances should the reviewer actually use the knife or cut stuff or chop stuff unless it is just paper on his Mom's washing machine.

It should not be taken outside or even shown on the belt in a real time using situation.
    Sorta like MY Bark River reviews ?????
    Oderint Dum Metuant
    "Let them hate,as long as they fear"

No Balis = NO BALLS

Safe Sex ??? NOTHING Safe Having Sex With DaBird.
    "Black and Blue , I LOVE YOU , Hit It Till It HURTS"

Life Member NRA , Life Member USPSA

Images
    I don't think that it should even be in their posession.

It would show Mad Knife Reviewer Skill if the person based all of their opinions on what they've read on the Interwebs.

THAT would be Ninja
    RIP Jerry "DaBird" Lameka 1957-2012. Rest peacefully, buddy. We'll never forget you.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................

READ THE RULES
    . We don't ask for much. Respect the Forum and its Members. Okay.....not all of them

Jay to the Dee, Y'All! infobound1's Avatar
    OB, if you knew anything about Ron or his forum it would not involve any quest for cash for the Mighty JD!
    AKA HOGBOUND1
    You Bought Another What!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by infobound1 View Post
    OB, if you knew anything about Ron or his forum it would not involve any quest for cash for the Mighty JD!
    Hey,

I posted that stuff drunk and meant 98% of it kinda the way I said it.

All you did was bitch about my post.

I think a little steady cashflow would be beneficial.

READ THE RULES

That might be April's best post.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

This post just cost me a keyboard!LOL!

Safe Queens are one thing USERS ARE A WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL! I almost always buy 2 of every knife I purchase, one with upgraded scales for the Safe; the second with Micarta or G10 scales to enjoy in the field.

I've found almost every Bark River Knife I have used to be beyond functional for it's size and intended purpose. I sold off most of my Case collection from the '70's to buy more Bark Rivers! I think I have 1 Case knife left (and I'll sell it to buy another Bark River as soon as I locate it!).

Knives tend to be very subjective pieces of kit as everyone has different size hands, favorite grip styles, length of blade, type of scale material, thickness of scales, etc. that make a knife 'their favorite'. I just flat out enjoy all of my Bark River knives as much as I can. So reading reviews helps to a certain extent, but until it's actually in my hands I am not able to tell if I'll like a certain model or not according to the way it 'feels in hand'.

Thread Information