Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye to my (not so little) friend......

Images

Say goodbye to my (not so little) friend......

BIG things happening in my shop this weekend. I am getting rid of my first CNC!! And replacing it with a new piece of machinery.....

I am very excited-I have not used the old CNC for years now. I planned on using it, but got spoiled with the accuracy of the NEW CNC and just lost interest in it.

But "The Beast" served me well and was my introduction into the CNC world, which has translated very well into re-defining my knife making career. So I will miss her.

But she is going to a good home, and I will get to visit her regularly. And she will get back to work, which is what she was meant for.

To accomplish this move, I need to open my LH garage door, something that has not happened in 11 years. After clearing away all the obstacles, Kathy hit the button. And, the opener ripped right out of the wall.............So I have that going for me, which is nice.

More pics later........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WEBSITE

JD FORUM

BLADE SHOW TABLE 10M
    Stay Sharp,

RJ Martin

Images
    I have rested on that machine... ALSO, there are lots of parts to possible re-released older RJ Martin knives on it!

What say you, good Sir?

Also- that is pretty funny on the garage door opener

So, who is the lucky guy getting it?

Questions....That need answers!

→ ♠ Click HERE to purchase your JD Challenge Coins!! ♠←

If looks could kill, then "Death" would be my name....

Any poor souls who trespass against us, whether it be beast or man, will suffer the bite or be stung dead on sight by those who inhabit this land. For theirs is the power and this is the kingdom as sure as the sun does burn. So enter this path, but heed these four words; you shall never return...

For the night is dark,...And full of terrors.
    Temet Nosce The World SHUDDERS before this ATOMIC MANIAC!

Quote Originally Posted by ratstuph
    We only destroy dreams here, not "restore" them.
    welcome to da JD,
    rats...
    ⱤᵒᵑȽ

Images
    I guess the opener was just too excited about getting some action after 11 years of dormancy.

If you need a hand this weekend I'm close by and work for cheap (cold beer and maybe a knife sharpening).
    ~ Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    The rest is somewhere between the hard-use fantasies of the Strider crowd and the blinged-up fever-dreams of CutThroat Knives on an acid binge.

Images

And say hello to my little friend

CHEVALIER.jpg

I just got enough stuff moved back so that I could actually touch my computer. Yesterday was an awesome day!! I intended to take pics, but I totally blew it-We were pretty focused on tilting 3100 Lb of machine enough so we could get it thru my door. Ron, you would have been right at home here-We moved it using a tow truck with a boom and got it to it's new home by noon.

My old CNC now lives at my waterjet cutter's shop (ST Precision Plate Cutting in Hanson, MA). Scott does great work, and when I asked him if he thought having the ability to do secondary ops on pieces he cut might be something he was interested in, well, he got interested

Here is a pic of my new friend. It's a Chevalier 2A618 surface grinder.
    My electrician and fishing buddy Dave loren wired her up yesterday.
    After de-sludging the coolant tank, I filled her up and familiarized myself with the controls. She came with a Brown and Sharp "MICRO MESH" magnetic chuck, which has ultra fine poles and holds knife blades better than anything I have ever seen. I dressed the chuck last night, and ground some blanks with it today.

It is holding 0.0002" and the surface finish is excellent. And I don't have the ideal wheels for the machine yet and still have to refine my technique. So getting to 0.0001" should be no problem.

So, this machine will help me take my work to the next level. I can't wait to see the improvement in the flipper action
    WEBSITE

JD FORUM

BLADE SHOW TABLE 10M
    Stay Sharp,

RJ Martin

more knives for us?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PassinBy View Post
    more knives for us?

BETTER knives for you.

If I wanted to make more knives, I would outsource my blades entirely like some of the other tactical makers...

The grinder may offer some time savings, especially on blanks that are already double disc ground. But PRECISION is the main reason I got it.
    WEBSITE

JD FORUM

BLADE SHOW TABLE 10M
    Stay Sharp,

RJ Martin

Images
    Sounds like it is almost time for another trip, after Blade of course

→ ♠ Click HERE to purchase your JD Challenge Coins!! ♠←

If looks could kill, then "Death" would be my name....

Any poor souls who trespass against us, whether it be beast or man, will suffer the bite or be stung dead on sight by those who inhabit this land. For theirs is the power and this is the kingdom as sure as the sun does burn. So enter this path, but heed these four words; you shall never return...

For the night is dark,...And full of terrors.
    Temet Nosce The World SHUDDERS before this ATOMIC MANIAC!

Quote Originally Posted by ratstuph
    We only destroy dreams here, not "restore" them.
    welcome to da JD,
    rats...
    ⱤᵒᵑȽ

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Martin View Post
    BETTER knives for you.
    I can't even grasp that.

I don't mean to sound ill informed but would it just be decreasing the tolerances or something else???
    -Mike Mortenson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I can't even grasp that.

I don't mean to sound ill informed but would it just be decreasing the tolerances or something else???
    Hi Mike: Yes, exactly. Right now, I use a manual surface grinder (converted to use with abrasive belts) to make my knife blade blanks smooth and flat. After heat treat, all additional smoothing and flattening is done on a disc sander by hand. By measuring carefully, it is possible to create flat parts and blades with parallel sides. Flat and parallel enough for my knives to function extremely smoothly.

But not as flat and parallel as they could be. That is where the new surface grinder comes in. Holding tolerances tighter by even one thousandth of an inch is a major achievement in most mechanisms, knives included.

The nice thing about this machine is it doesn't require me standing in front of it turning cranks. It "turns the cranks" itself, which is nice because it turns them very accurately. But it still takes considerable tending, attention and time because it removes very, very small amounts of metal compared to my old grinder. It won't save me substantial time. It should save some effort, and it will result in a beter product.
    WEBSITE

JD FORUM

BLADE SHOW TABLE 10M
    Stay Sharp,

RJ Martin

Images
    Tolerances will be so tight, that...

RJ's flippers will flip so fast that they'll be mistaken for fixed blade knives.

I'll take it!
    Some folks here just can't tolerate my avatars...

Images
    Hard to believe that they could be any smoother, but than again its RJ. My Overkill Q-36 is often mistaken for an automatic. This is due to the fast break of the detent, makes the blade stay closed well to. The more flippers I get from other makers,the more I realize how well built RJ's Knives are built.
    Last edited by blade viking; 04-18-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Images
    So, this machine will help me take my work to the next level. I can't wait to see the improvement in the flipper action
    BETTER knives for you.

Say what? Better knives with improved flipper action?! Is this a real thing?

I am really looking forward to checking out one of these new and improved flippers.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." -- Conan

And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours...
    Fuck Microtech!

Should read BMF a new type of Strider bfm's Avatar
    OK, so those two belt grinders in the top left pick, are those just sort of extra, or did you just block them in while moving other stuff?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10102989@N00/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/studiominerva

"Son, people will always try and fuck you. Don't waste your life planning for a fucking, just be alert when your pants are down."

𝄆Sto Velox, Sto Validus𝄇 NiJaRo1225's Avatar
    Images
    BETTER knives for you.
    After reading your explanation for this statement, I'll be interested to experience exactly how noticeable the differences will be.

At the moment it's pretty hard to imagine "better" functioning, in regards to your work.
    "There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure." The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

"You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit". - Grandpop

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NiJaRo1225 View Post
    After reading your explanation for this statement, I'll be interested to experience exactly how noticeable the differences will be.

At the moment it's pretty hard to imagine "better" functioning, in regards to your work.
    Well, thanks for that! The differences will be slight, but they should be noticeable. I will know in a few days when I build the first Q's with S110V blades ground in with the new machine.

Precision is an interesting thing. Ultimately, it's a goal. There is always more precision that can be obtained. Anyone who tells you different is full of it. It always takes more time, more $$, more skill and more effort.
    WEBSITE

JD FORUM

BLADE SHOW TABLE 10M
    Stay Sharp,

RJ Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information