Thread: Protech Dark Angel First Run Stainless Steel

Protech Dark Angel First Run Stainless Steel

Protech Dark Angel First Run Stainless Steel OTF

IMG_4244_small.JPG

I've recently acquired the limited run of Protech's new OTF so I've decided to drop a few lines about the knife. Since it is my first SA OTF don't expect any great review...just few thoughts.

The specs. Protech's first run full size OTF features solid 416 stainless steel chassis with two-tone blasted and satin finish. The blade is dagger style double edged satin finished. The steel used is 154-CM. The release button has black lip pearl inlay. This SS Dark Angel weighs 218 g, closed length is 130 mm, blade length is 94 mm. It comes in a nice and sturdy nylon sheath.

IMG_4239_small.jpg

The look. The 2-tone finish makes the handle look narrower which is 'in harmony' with the drop shape space around the firing button and creates very 'sexy' shape. The knife itself is quite thin and it has good handle/blade length ratio. I think the sleek look of this knife is very attractive. I prefer the satin look of steel than the black aluminum and it has somehow 'cleaner' look without the safety.

IMG_4245_small.jpg

The action. Dark Angel fires fast and hard. It has very small side to side play, but a bit more up and down play. You can hear it rattle when manipulating the knife. I assume it is normal with OTFs nevertheless from what I've read about SA OTF's I expected tighter tolerances. The charging bar on the side is bit annoying since it can easily happen that you forget your finger in its way while firing the knife... It doesn't require much effort to push the button and release the blade considering it does not have a safety can only carry it in a sheath. Well, it is not meant to be carried in a pocket (no pocket clip). I can see two reasons for not having a safety on this one since the aluminum has safety and pocket clip. First, probably to cut the cost of machining the SS handle to add the safety. Second, to have the abovementioned 'cleaner' look of this more of a show piece. Anyway, it is quite heavy to carry around...

IMG_4246_small.jpg

The blade. I like the shape of the blade, but I have some complains about the workmanship on the blade. Well, maybe I'm too much a nitpicker, in any case I think I should mention it with a knife of this price. So what's my problem? I don't know if it is intentional, but the edges are uneven. When you look at the double edge the left side edge is ground higher than the right one. The same when you turn the knife. It causes that the center line does not go straight to the tip. On one side it also appears to be slightly curved and not a straight line.

IMG_4249_small.jpg

All in all I'd say it is very nice, very heavy, very expensive letter opener.
    Don't get me wrong, I knew it when I bought it. I have no other use for dagger style blade without a safety. And I like solid heavy knives (like 29 Knives). You wouldn't expect a knife with black lip pearl button to serve as a tactical knife, would you?
    Nevertheless, I had higher expectations about the tolerances and the details of the blade. Would I buy it again? Probably not. Being more of a balisong guy, I would rather save the money and get another 29 Knives or something. I just wanted to check out this OTF. But do I regret buying it? Nah, it's quite cool and I like it

I'd love to hear someone sharing his/her thoughts about the recently released aluminum production version of the Dark Angel with the pocket clip, safety and affordable price.

Last but not least I'd like to thank Chris_himself for helping me with getting this knife.

I am not very good with camera but I tried to picture what I mentioned about the blade here: IMG_4255_small.JPGIMG_4256_small.JPG

As for the play, for example I checked MT UTX-70 and it has less play than Dark Angel. I might make a short video in future, but I think I will get lazy to do it...
    Last edited by kizuf; 04-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Images
    I like the looks of it! Probably hand ground is the reason for the grind "flaw", what is the price point if you do not mind me asking?

→ ♠ Click HERE to support JD!! ♠←

If looks could kill, then "Death" would be my name....

Any poor souls who trespass against us, whether it be beast or man, will suffer the bite or be stung dead on sight by those who inhabit this land. For theirs is the power and this is the kingdom as sure as the sun does burn. So enter this path, but heed these four words; you shall never return...

For the night is dark,...And full of terrors.

Temet Nosce

Quote Originally Posted by ratstuph
    We only destroy dreams here, not "restore" them.
    welcome to da JD,
    rats...
    ⱤᵒᵑȽ•••••••

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.LaBella View Post
    I like the looks of it! Probably hand ground is the reason for the grind "flaw", what is the price point if you do not mind me asking?
    It crossed my mind that it was hand ground, but than I thought that the prototypes were hand ground while this is first production run so... In any case, it is not an issue, I just mentioned it.

This one is $499 at BladeHQ, the aluminum production version is $219.95

There are not many OTF's with SS handle and especially not for this price. I like the looks of it, I like the heavy solid steel construction so I enjoy this one, though when I read my text once again it seemed I was more complaining than praising...

Last edited by kizuf; 04-09-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: video

The blade play on that looks bad :/

I love protech but that'd be one I'd send back. Single action OTF's generally have next to no play.
    -W. Moon-
    www.MoonCustomKnives.com

Current Models:
    -Orion 5" Balisong
    -Blackstar Integral Tactical Flipper

N7

My Youtube: www.youtube.com/PRSPl4yer

See my work: http://willmooncustomknives.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    The blade play on that looks bad :/

I love protech but that'd be one I'd send back. Single action OTF's generally have next to no play.
    Thanks for your opinion. As I said, I don't have much experience with OTFs. I am actually considering sending it back...

Well as much as I HATE Tony Marfione's guts I have to say the Microtech Halo 5 actually tops the scale for SAO OTF auto perfection. If you do send it back, you might try one of those. I also hear Ashville Steel/Paragon makes a nice SAO OTF, specifically their estiletto.

Not trying to be negative, man I actually love Protech and I'm still tempted to check out the Al versions of the knife but blade play is something that just pisses me off lol
    -W. Moon-
    www.MoonCustomKnives.com

Current Models:
    -Orion 5" Balisong
    -Blackstar Integral Tactical Flipper

N7

My Youtube: www.youtube.com/PRSPl4yer

See my work: http://willmooncustomknives.blogspot.com/

Blade looks like a Dalton Cupid all Dressed up,,she sure is pretty but ,,dangerous to carry like the Dalton Version. I personally think they should put a safty on it ,makeing it safe to carry.
    Nothing but Respect
    Gary

My knife never needs to be reloaded,yet allways is loaded and has never missfired yet!

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by begreen61 View Post
    Blade looks like a Dalton Cupid all Dressed up,,she sure is pretty but ,,dangerous to carry like the Dalton Version. I personally think they should put a safty on it ,makeing it safe to carry.
    The aluminum production version does have it, and also a pocket clip. Somebody already made a review on that one:

Thank you for the review, I was sitting on the fence myself, I'll probably pass for now.
    Looking for the following (mint condition only):
    RJ Martin Q-36 with S90V laminated blade
    RJ Martin: basically anything S110V
    Peter Carey Nitro Extreme
    Peter Carey Rubicon Extreme
    Todd Rexford Icon
    Hinderer XM-18 gen. IV 3.5" production (Duratech 20CV only)
    Hinderer XM-24 hand-ground (Spanto or spearpoint)

Thread Information