Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microtech UTX-70 Disassembly and Repairs

Little member
    CA,TX, CO, Afghan, Iraq, Dubai, Bangkok PI

Microtech UTX-70 Disassembly and Repairs

I promise, this is my last thread on the Microtech UTX-70. When you disassemble the UTX-70, this is what you'll see
    1.jpg

Looking a little closer, I was trying to determine why my knife wouldn't retract. So, I looked closer: 2.jpg

I was really interested in that groove in the front locking piece:5.jpg

So I really took a look at it: 3.jpg

I flipped the locking piece over, and tried the flat side, I reversed it, etc. Nothing seems to work. It deploys the knife, but then locks. It seems the locking piece is "walking out", and jamming the spring slide, preventing it from retracting the blade.

Looking at the groove in the front locking piece, I can't help but wonder if the blade hasn't been making contact, and cutting the groove in the lock piece?

Naturally, Microtech's Customer Service is of no help, and the shop where I bought this (Not Your Moma's Knives), well...lets just say I don't do business with them anymore. They have lost a customer. Nuff said. If anyone knows the "secret" to making these run, or "if" they can be made to run, I sure am willing to learn. Thanks, and again, this is the last thread I'll do complaining about Microtech's quality control, customer Service, and general support. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (32.8 KB, 10 views)

Average member
    The groove in the front locking bar is actually there from the factory. It's designed to allow a double edged blade to clear the locking bar without getting dulled on it.

If the knife is deploying but not retracting (slide is locked in the forward position and will not pull back at all, then you're probably right and the front locking bar may have wiggled out of position. It should normally be held in position by the spring and by the slide sitting partially on top of it.

My thought is that by carefully filing a small radius at point A, you will give the bar a small ramp that will allow the slide at point B to push it back into position if it slips out. This shouldn't affect lockup as long as the locking surface C isn't touched.

Anyway, that's my theory.

3.jpg

Little member
    Quote Originally Posted by drfish View Post
    The groove in the front locking bar is actually there from the factory. It's designed to allow a double edged blade to clear the locking bar without getting dulled on it.

If the knife is deploying but not retracting (slide is locked in the forward position and will not pull back at all, then you're probably right and the front locking bar may have wiggled out of position. It should normally be held in position by the spring and by the slide sitting partially on top of it.

My thought is that by carefully filing a small radius at point A, you will give the bar a small ramp that will allow the slide at point B to push it back into position if it slips out. This shouldn't affect lockup as long as the locking surface C isn't touched.

Anyway, that's my theory.

3.jpg
    Thanks for your response. I was really unsure about the groove in the lock piece. But, the knife wouldn't work at all when I flipped it over. I was then pretty sure it was suppose to be be there. I like your suggestion. It sounds like a reasonable "theory". That is, provided the slide pushes the lock bar back into place correctly. I have a tri-wing bit on the way. I'm going to tighten the knife down, and see if that changes anything. I may try a stronger spring on the lock piece (if I can find one). If these two steps fail, I will try your suggestion. I'm really cautious about cutting springs or filing down surfaces, etc., unless I'm 100% certain about something. Getting a replacement piece of the right measurements, thickness ext. would be tough. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll also post photos if I can get this thing running. Thanks again.

Little member

Thumbs down Microtech UTX70: What a Piece of Shit.

I enjoy puzzles. However, wasting time with a defective Microtech UTX70 isnít fun. I bought the Microtech disassembly tool; I tweaked the locking piece spring, cleaned everything, and I stone polished the lock piece. This thing is crap. It just doesnít work. Iím a cop, and I have DoD credentials as well. Nonetheless, Microtech still will not provide me with any form of support. What would it cost them, and which Federal Laws would they be violating if they sent me spring and a replacement lock piece? None. Nor will they repair this thing. I bought this piece of shit new from Not Your Momaís knives, and they will not provide support or assistance in any way. What fucking ass holes. I hope they both go out of business for fucking their customers.

What a let down. No doubt, it's very irritating when a company takes a "holier than thou" approach to customer service. With the federal regulation and the expensive price tag of "high-quality" automatic knives, I've (a civilian) always steered clear of them.

They seem like a novelty, or at least a niche design anyway IMO. Automatic (Out The Front or Push Button), butterfly, fixed, folding... all of that is irrelevant when someone is attempting to harm you.

Seems silly to regulate them when some mugger can fuck you up with a $12 kitchen knife that he stole from the grocery store. That's pampered soccer moms and pussy lawmakers for you. Knee-jerk fear mongering.

I understand your frustration though, I bought an Emerson CQC-8 which ain't cheap and that knife is a huge disappointment. Better luck next time I guess.

Also, I'm applying for city PD. Wish me luck.

former cerveca terminador JackBlades's Avatar
    Images
    What's wrong with/about your Emerson?
    Friend of Bill W.

Stabber's Steel Connection Stabber's Avatar
    Images
    bein you went that far polish the back of the blade edges and sides. makin sure theres no burs or real shap corners with 1500 grit and those lil locking tabs/flaps. That may do it fer ya. I have fixed quite a few.....well, scarabs and utx's. never a utx70 but similar mechanism
    Lotsa Knives, No Money
    Got Siska's?

Please Visit My Website@

Thanks Mr LaBella for designing my Banner!!

(==={;;;::::::::>GHETTO FORGE<:::::;;}==)

(==={;;;::::::::>Stabber!<:::::::::;;;}===)

Little member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post
    bein you went that far polish the back of the blade edges and sides. makin sure theres no burs or real shap corners with 1500 grit and those lil locking tabs/flaps. That may do it fer ya. I have fixed quite a few.....well, scarabs and utx's. never a utx70 but similar mechanism
    Thanks for the note, but I've reached the point where I just want to ram this thing up Microtech's ass. Now, after taking this thing apart 100 or so times, I can't get the main spring to stay on the track. Not even long enough to put it back together. Maybe a little filing or stone work might make the "L" shaped piece stay on track...? Still pissed off when I think about it. (Can you tell?) And, as I've stated before, the lock piece just walks out, and jams the knife. I'm pretty sure the original problem was the lock piece, and now with all the fingering, I've added issues. Microtech really sucks as a company. I've run a Benchmade 9100 auto here in Afghanistan for 5 years, and it runs 100% of the time, with no issues. Dust, sand, rain, snow, the Benchmade simply works. And I use the Benchmade hard. I cut open cases of AK Ammo sealed in heavy plastic, I've slashed countless MREs, various straps etc. securing cargo. This Benchmade is a tough son of a bitch, and the 154cm blade sharpens up with a simple pocket stone. I also used the Benchmade for 5 years on Patrol before I ever came here. The Microtechs are fakes, and are not used by pros. Lots of Benchmades and Gerber 06 models, but never seen a Microtech in the field. Period. This UTX-70 Microtech has never left my air-conditioned room, and it has never worked. Microtech and "Not Your Moma's Knives" can both go out of business and rot in hell. Fucking bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshorecop View Post
    Thanks for the note, but I've reached the point where I just want to ram this thing up Microtech's ass. Now, after taking this thing apart 100 or so times, I can't get the main spring to stay on the track. Not even long enough to put it back together. Maybe a little filing or stone work might make the "L" shaped piece stay on track...? Still pissed off when I think about it. (Can you tell?) And, as I've stated before, the lock piece just walks out, and jams the knife. I'm pretty sure the original problem was the lock piece, and now with all the fingering, I've added issues. Microtech really sucks as a company. I've run a Benchmade 9100 auto here in Afghanistan for 5 years, and it runs 100% of the time, with no issues. Dust, sand, rain, snow, the Benchmade simply works. And I use the Benchmade hard. I cut open cases of AK Ammo sealed in heavy plastic, I've slashed countless MREs, various straps etc. securing cargo. This Benchmade is a tough son of a bitch, and the 154cm blade sharpens up with a simple pocket stone. I also used the Benchmade for 5 years on Patrol before I ever came here. The Microtechs are fakes, and are not used by pros. Lots of Benchmades and Gerber 06 models, but never seen a Microtech in the field. Period. This UTX-70 Microtech has never left my air-conditioned room, and it has never worked. Microtech and "Not Your Moma's Knives" can both go out of business and rot in hell. Fucking bastards.
    WOW!..A buyer is not happy w/ Microtechs or their service???

Thats a 1st!

(seriously though,sorry for your issues and hope for the best)

Little member

Unhappy Microtech knive customer? Uhhhh.....you might say that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJD1 View Post
    WOW!..A buyer is not happy w/ Microtechs or their service???

Thats a 1st!

(seriously though,sorry for your issues and hope for the best)
    Thanks for the kind words. Yea, I know this is an old post, but I just stumbled over the old broken microtechs & it pisses me off. The nice thing about this site is you can write the truth about crap knives. The XD form/web site kicked me off for talking trash about Microtechs. Perhaps someday they might have a "toys for broken Microtechs" or a buy back or something? It's my only hope. And one last time: Fuck Microtech knives and their rip-off copy of the Aug. Okay. I feel better now. Cheers.

I'm so glad people can speak freely and give those considering a Microtech some first hand info.
    From what I've read, I'm not going to purchase a microtech, ever.

Colorado High Country (Western Slope @ 8000')
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amike575757 View Post
    I'm so glad people can speak freely and give those considering a Microtech some first hand info.
    From what I've read, I'm not going to purchase a microtech, ever.
    All of mine work great.

Even this EDC one that's my work knife from 2002, along with an CF Ultratech from 2004:

But some folks just aren't meant to have them...
    Last edited by gzb; 01-06-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    If you're not the lead dog, the view's always the same...

Though Microtech CS isn't what I call first rate, I can't deny some of the finest production knives come from them, and I have a broken utx (my fault, playing with it) that's sitting in the box right now. It would seem most of the complaints are those that misuse their OTF's (like I did). Yeah it's a PIA to have a repair done, but I knew their policies before I bought the knife...reading is fundamental!

totally hetero, no seriously tmbrcrafter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshorecop View Post
    Perhaps someday they might have a "toys for broken Microtechs" or a buy back or something? It's my only hope.
    Perhaps this is the only Microtech you should own....

I haven't been around long enough to know, but from what I've read: I'll stick with MT bali's and side openers........no OTF's for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information