Announcement

Collapse

SERVER RELOCATION

The site has been migrated to a new server. You may experience errors and these are being monitored and fixed accordingly. Otherwise, happy foruming!
See more
See less

WIP- Complete Step by step--pgs 1-5 Knife and scales-- pg 7 sheathwork.. lots of pics

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIP- Complete Step by step--pgs 1-5 Knife and scales-- pg 7 sheathwork.. lots of pics

Got started on my next batch of knives today which includes two Pikal FOS, one Pikal FOS XL in O1 tool steel and 8 standard FOS, an HOS, and an FOS XL in CPM 154. Anyway it was a nice day cursing my bandsaw and the mill scale that is on CPM 154. That shit may be harder than diamonds.

a few pics...

The Pikals laid out on the O1 with a couple of G10 knives I'm working on...

The FOS's laid out on the CPM 154...

as you can see me and the bandsaw are about as precise as a dull chainsaw..

But a little time at the KMG cleans them right up...

A lot of time at the flat platen and the mill scale from hell is finally gone and we are ready to drill holes...

more soon stay tuned,

mo
    m.o.b.

I love threads like this im ready for the next set of pics! Keep em comin buddy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M.Olexey View Post
      That shit may be harder than diamonds.
      Awwww, quit your bitchin'! That ain't fucking needlepoint! Steel is tough by nature. We don't need a whiney emo-thread to remind of this!

Edit: bad ass looking batch of knives bro. You get them heat treated locally?

Chris

Comment

Cool stuff

I like these w.i.p. updates it's very interesting to see how the raw materials come together to make your knives what they are, Friggin nice blades!!!

On the metal working part i hear ya!! i've worked with some exotic steels myself as a fitter and high alloy steels are by far the toughest to work with.

Comment

Very cool.

"We got two honkies out there, dressed like Hasidic diamond merchants."

Originally posted by Clydetz
          I can honestly say that Ron never bought me a meatball.
          Originally posted by Mr.LaBella
          The asshole stretching, poking with foreign objects etc. must cease. Period. Enough is enough.

Comment

I'm tuned in Br0!
            sigpicRichard Wright🔥😈R.S.KnifeWorks😈Sergey Rogovets❤Skike Custom Knives😈Heeter KnifeWorks 💣💥☻☆♡KnoxKnife♤♡BrianDolimKnives♡KandM Edgecraft♡StabbersSteelConnection!!!!!!Spry Knives!!!!!!Mcdaniel Knives!DigsFnK♡R.S.KnifeWorks♤Lajoie KnifeWorks!M.O.B!

Comment

Originally posted by stewart View Post
              I love threads like this im ready for the next set of pics! Keep em comin buddy!!!
              Me too! Me too! Me too! . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Daigle View Post
                Awwww, quit your bitchin'! That ain't fucking needlepoint! Steel is tough by nature. We don't need a whiney emo-thread to remind of this!
                Fuck it then! I'm taking up quilt making. This metal working shit is hell on my manicure

Really it might not have been so bad if my cheap ass didn't try to milk every last bit of life out of the 60 grit belts I was using.

Originally posted by Chris Daigle
                Edit: bad ass looking batch of knives bro. You get them heat treated locally?

Chris
                I've been sending my D2 stuff to TKS so I thought I'd send these to them too. After talking to Brock this morning I'm gonna get the holes drilled, stamp them and put in the thumb serrations then send them out. So I'll lay in the bevels post heat treat. While they're out I'll knock out the O1 stuff or that's the plan anyway.

I'll use this thread to follow this batch to the end I can show each stage.
                More pics after drilling and stamping tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

mo
                m.o.b.

Comment

:semper: Can't wait to see more!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Semper708 View Post
                    :semper: Can't wait to see more!!!!!
                    Notice the "semper" scribbled on one?
                    m.o.b.

Comment

Originally posted by Markous View Post
                      On the metal working part i hear ya!! i've worked with some exotic steels myself as a fitter and high alloy steels are by far the toughest to work with.

Makes me appreciate all the precision ground O1 and D2

mo
                      m.o.b.

Comment

oh man, I forgot to mention that 154 seems pretty tough on bandsaw blades...............................

When you can't run anymore, you crawl

if you can't crawl, you find somebody to carry you.

Comment

Great post. i love watching your knives come together.
                          http://stores.ebay.com/splitshot1000

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Brock View Post
                            oh man, I forgot to mention that 154 seems pretty tough on bandsaw blades...............................
                            Yep. It did a number on a brand new Lennox blade

I thought I might have just pushed it too hard.

I see exactly why your experimenting with the surface grinder

mo
                            m.o.b.

Comment

Martin God hates an overachiever.

Post heat treat is the only way to go. Hey didn't I mention that already. Oh if Kens says it you will try it but if I mention it ya ignore me.
                              2011 Blade Show Table 20D

Comment

Working...
                              X