Announcement

Collapse

SERVER RELOCATION

The site has been migrated to a new server. You may experience errors and these are being monitored and fixed accordingly. Otherwise, happy foruming!
See more
See less

To be Fair - The Most Underrated Knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be Fair - The Most Underrated Knife

What is "The Most Underrated Knife" you've found?
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

The Browning 580 Crowell/Barker Competition knife.

Straight from the factory in China... it's not up to much... but once the edge has been thinned out and convexed... it becomes a very good knife.

Comment

Soupy, that's pretty damn cool...

For me, it's anything made by Spyderco Knives, circa 1995 - 2000....been outta the loop since, but G2 (GIN 1) steel was (and is, IMNSHO) 'da bomb'...

-S
      Randall Made Knives - Bought and Sold
      www.bluestarknives.com

Comment

Old BuckLites. I am not talking the newer ones with the holes in the slabs, but the old four pin with the finger groove slabs.
        RoadFish

Never lost, often misplaced!!!

If you must hold yourself up to your children as an object lesson, hold yourself up as a warning and not as an example...
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The Camillus or Ontario USAF Survival Knife. To me this one stands up well to hard use as well as knives that cost three or five times as much. Some folks scoff at them, but for $30 you can't go wrong.

Comment

For the custom stuff, I have always believed that Wayne Watanabe is very under-rated (I think he does this on purpose).

For factory stuff, I think Spyderco is very well thought of and not neccesarily under-rated, but I have found that two of their older very simple blades are a great deal and don't get much love-The police model, and the co-pilot.
            "Cheating in a fight is just an alternate form of winning"-Lt.Col. Freddie Blish, USMC

Comment

BRKT Mini Northstar made a believer in BRKT's out of me! And it's in 12c27! I keep dreaming of this knife in A2 or 52-100!! With slightly thicker scales!!

Comment

Mike Draper consistently makes well thought out folders with extremely high fit and finish ( as you'd expect from a ABS Journeyman). He is one of those makers who still has the time and desire to make every single knife that leaves his shop as perfect as possible. He also is a sole author on the damascus pieces, another rarity. Helluva nice guy too.

Oh yeah, his wife makes a decent knife too....

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker View Post
                  BRKT Mini Northstar made a believer in BRKT's out of me! And it's in 12c27! I keep dreaming of this knife in A2 or 52-100!! With slightly thicker scales!!
                  Sounds like a good idea for the eerily silent JD forum knife thread. Straighter handle, the whole beastie downsized a little bit, and there is your perfect EDC...

Michael

Comment

i know it's blasphemous to praise anything cold steel around these parts, but some of their knives offer great value......

a lot of their knives are overpriced and overhyped, but at the same time, they do carry items that offer great bang for the buck......

i will try to be as specific as possible here......

their machete lineup is excellent.....lots of different patterns for whatever your needs may be........good heat treat, with a good steel......all for about $15.......you can't beat that......

their economy SK-5 lineup is also quite good......their trailmaster model, their recon scout, etc.....instead of san mia, stainless, or carbon V, they use SK-5, which is 1080 carbon steel......you get a big chunk of steel with a decent heat treat made of good carbon steel.......

then you have their mora wannabe knives, plastic handled knives with 4116 krupp stainless blades.......the finn bear, canadian belt knife, and their roach belly.....little utility belt knives that cut really well, for under $15.......

their bushman knives may be the best bang for the buck knives in their whole lineup......sk5 steel, with a one piece design.......very very sturdy, good edge, good steel, it even comes with a decent plastic lined leather sheath......for $20, you can't beat it.......

i may be missing a model here or there, but my point stands that they do offer some decent blades for decent prices........

a lot of their stuff is just plain overpriced junk.......i guess you could even say that the majority of their lineup is overpriced junk........however, there are some diamonds in the rough, which is my point in the first place.....

flame away!!!
                    no politics up in da heezy, mah neezy!!!
                    can ya dig it, sucka???

Comment

Benchmade Activator D2
                      I am a thief, a liar and a conman.

Comment

SAKs. You know, everyone says they suck, but some are actually not that bad.

<ducks>
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

what happened to UJ's post?
                          no politics up in da heezy, mah neezy!!!
                          can ya dig it, sucka???

Comment

I moved it.

Comment

Originally posted by bootstrenf View Post
                              flame away!!!
                              Darn it! I lost my propane torch, will a match work?
                              www.armoralleather.comsigpic

LeatherBuzzard, waiting for it to die

The Songs of the Dead are the Lamentations of the Living.

Comment

Working...
                              X