Announcement

Collapse

SERVER RELOCATION

The site has been migrated to a new server. You may experience errors and these are being monitored and fixed accordingly. Otherwise, happy foruming!
See more
See less

My father's old pocket knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My father's old pocket knife

This is Blastmaster1941's (better known as my father ) pocketknife.

When I was a small boy, this was a magical knife! It was used when we went fishing, it was used for killing, skinning & cleaning rabbits we caught with snares, it was used to kill chickens, it was used to harvest vegetables and herbs from the garden...

So it was an "EDC" in a time before the concept EDC was invented, in a time where every male carried a pocket knife.

This, my friends, is the root of my knife addiction. This is the knife that started it all!

Recently, I asked my father to get it out again, to take some pics. About 10 years ago it was replaced in my father's pocket with a Laguiole with olive wood handles. But it is still kept, and cherised!

The exact age is hard to determine, but it is at least 50 years old!

Ah, the memories! Sadly nowadays there are generations of boys growing up without ever knowing the joy of the outdoor life, and who think a knife is a weapon instead of a tool...

Here's some pics:

Kind regards,

Jos
    One day, Bacon will save the world!

http://blastmaster1972.blogspot.be/
    https://www.facebook.com/Blastmaster1972

That's a great old piece. Your right about kids and their parents today. I was given my first knife when I was 10 years old. Last year my grandson turned 12 and for the last year or so I have had him in my shop helping me work on knives so I asked his mother if I could give him a Scout knife. She looked at me like I was crazy, Bitch.
    wazu013

Comment

Originally posted by wazu013 View Post
      That's a great old piece. Your right about kids and their parents today. I was given my first knife when I was 10 years old. Last year my grandson turned 12 and for the last year or so I have had him in my shop helping me work on knives so I asked his mother if I could give him a Scout knife. She looked at me like I was crazy, Bitch.
      wazu013
      sounds like she needs a red rep. He's been helping u for the last year? yeah, I think it should be HIS call (although I aint his parent)
      The world's definitely twisted alll up, strictly from kids rebelling against everything their parents stood for. pick a few things, rebel, make a POSITIVE change, it's all good.... but EVERYTHING?! I mean hell, people dont even carry things in their pockets anymore!
      KMNREMTP

In vino veritas.

sigpic

Will consider purchasing Ben Cardoso or Nathan Dewey balisongs... pm me with a description/price if you might sell.

Damn, I love this forum!

Comment

Nice!

I too came from an age where every man had a knife in his pocket. My grandfather gave me his old Barlow that had been sharpened so many times that the blades were really narrow and thin. I carried it to school every day until I lost it in about the third grade, when it was replaced by a scout knife. I don't think I EVER went to school a day without a knife in my pocket. Now, a kid would be expelled and the parents probably arrested for such a thing. I don't remember any of us boys ever threatening to cut somebody else with a knife. They were tools. They cut stuff that needed to be cut, peeled stuff that needed to be peeled and they whittled sticks when we were bored.

I'm fortunate that I am in a construction trade (Boilermaking) where almost everybody carries a knife. The contractors usually prohibit knives for safety reasons (they try to issue retractable safety knives with rounded points), but we usually ignore them and keep a knife in our pocket until we NEED one.

I wish I still had the knife that started it all for me, and I thank you for sharing your father's knife with us.

Originally posted by Mr.LaBella

So here we all are. Sitting at the same table, drinking, smoking, cussing, fighting, and devouring the souls of the weak.

Comment

Nice lookin little piece and congrats on keeping

it looking good for so long..

Comment

This old pocket knife is very nice and perfect designed. Many people are keeps this kinds of pocket knives with him in old days for some useful purpose. My father was also kept this kind of three inch pocket knife with him for self protecting.

Comment

Thank you for sharing - and wonderful to see you have such a great relationship with your father

Comment

With a knife like that, it's the memories and what it represents that count more than the physical material. That knife has a soul!

Comment

glad to see the old knife, it looks nice and memorable. Thx for sharing. In 2012, Kabam released 2 games, one is The Hobbit: Armies of the Third Age, the other is iphone game The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth. What on earth will be better? Lets discuss about it on Dotmmo.
                  Last edited by Gali; 09-26-2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Got to love, a knife with a history

When I was in school in the early 60's in Ohio, I bet ever boy at school carried a pocket knife. I never heard of a single problem happening, either. It was just a tool every boy needed.

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                    X