PDA

View Full Version : To be Fair - The Most Underrated Knife

cynik
05-28-2009, 02:04 AM
What is "The Most Underrated Knife" you've found?

Soup_Monger
05-28-2009, 03:56 AM
The Browning 580 Crowell/Barker Competition knife.

Straight from the factory in China... it's not up to much... but once the edge has been thinned out and convexed... it becomes a very good knife.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/fergus2468/IMG_4286.jpg

Sheldon_Wickersham
05-28-2009, 04:18 AM
Soupy, that's pretty damn cool...

For me, it's anything made by Spyderco Knives, circa 1995 - 2000....been outta the loop since, but G2 (GIN 1) steel was (and is, IMNSHO) 'da bomb'... ;)

-S

RoadFish
05-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Old BuckLites. I am not talking the newer ones with the holes in the slabs, but the old four pin with the finger groove slabs.

Coolhand68
05-28-2009, 08:48 AM
The Camillus or Ontario USAF Survival Knife. To me this one stands up well to hard use as well as knives that cost three or five times as much. Some folks scoff at them, but for $30 you can't go wrong.

nyeti
05-28-2009, 10:17 AM
For the custom stuff, I have always believed that Wayne Watanabe is very under-rated (I think he does this on purpose).

For factory stuff, I think Spyderco is very well thought of and not neccesarily under-rated, but I have found that two of their older very simple blades are a great deal and don't get much love-The police model, and the co-pilot.

Tracker
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
BRKT Mini Northstar made a believer in BRKT's out of me! And it's in 12c27! I keep dreaming of this knife in A2 or 52-100!! With slightly thicker scales!!

namor
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Mike Draper consistently makes well thought out folders with extremely high fit and finish ( as you'd expect from a ABS Journeyman). He is one of those makers who still has the time and desire to make every single knife that leaves his shop as perfect as possible. He also is a sole author on the damascus pieces, another rarity. Helluva nice guy too.

Oh yeah, his wife makes a decent knife too....

clavichord
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
BRKT Mini Northstar made a believer in BRKT's out of me! And it's in 12c27! I keep dreaming of this knife in A2 or 52-100!! With slightly thicker scales!!

Sounds like a good idea for the eerily silent JD forum knife thread. Straighter handle, the whole beastie downsized a little bit, and there is your perfect EDC...
:viking: :jdedc:
Michael

bootstrenf
05-28-2009, 01:24 PM
i know it's blasphemous to praise anything cold steel around these parts, but some of their knives offer great value......

a lot of their knives are overpriced and overhyped, but at the same time, they do carry items that offer great bang for the buck......

i will try to be as specific as possible here......

their machete lineup is excellent.....lots of different patterns for whatever your needs may be........good heat treat, with a good steel......all for about $15.......you can't beat that......

their economy SK-5 lineup is also quite good......their trailmaster model, their recon scout, etc.....instead of san mia, stainless, or carbon V, they use SK-5, which is 1080 carbon steel......you get a big chunk of steel with a decent heat treat made of good carbon steel.......

then you have their mora wannabe knives, plastic handled knives with 4116 krupp stainless blades.......the finn bear, canadian belt knife, and their roach belly.....little utility belt knives that cut really well, for under $15.......

their bushman knives may be the best bang for the buck knives in their whole lineup......sk5 steel, with a one piece design.......very very sturdy, good edge, good steel, it even comes with a decent plastic lined leather sheath......for $20, you can't beat it.......

i may be missing a model here or there, but my point stands that they do offer some decent blades for decent prices........

a lot of their stuff is just plain overpriced junk.......i guess you could even say that the majority of their lineup is overpriced junk........however, there are some diamonds in the rough, which is my point in the first place.....

flame away!!!

Mr. Andersson
05-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Benchmade Activator D2

BlueSkyJaunte
05-28-2009, 04:55 PM
SAKs. You know, everyone says they suck, but some are actually not that bad. :madaddy:

<ducks>

bootstrenf
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
what happened to UJ's post?

Soup_Monger
05-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I moved it.

leatherman
05-29-2009, 01:11 AM
flame away!!!

Darn it! I lost my propane torch, will a match work? :devil1:

clavichord
05-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Opinel. Affordable, replaceable, sharp. Everybody I know has or has had one, but doesn't talk about it because it is such a modest knife. Which I consider a virtue.
:viking:
Michael

RoadFish
05-29-2009, 03:51 AM
Opinel. Affordable, replaceable, sharp. Everybody I know has or has had one, but doesn't talk about it because it is such a modest knife. Which I consider a virtue.
:viking:
Michael

Damn right! How could I forget Opinel! I have one in my pocket next to my BuckLite! A simple sturdy lock and a nice carbon steel blade. Good calll, claichord!

Uncle_Jarvis
05-29-2009, 10:11 AM
i know it's blasphemous to praise anything cold steel around these parts, but some of their knives offer great value......

a lot of their knives are overpriced and overhyped, but at the same time, they do carry items that offer great bang for the buck......

i will try to be as specific as possible here......

their machete lineup is excellent.....lots of different patterns for whatever your needs may be........good heat treat, with a good steel......all for about $15.......you can't beat that......

their economy SK-5 lineup is also quite good......their trailmaster model, their recon scout, etc.....instead of san mia, stainless, or carbon V, they use SK-5, which is 1080 carbon steel......you get a big chunk of steel with a decent heat treat made of good carbon steel.......

then you have their mora wannabe knives, plastic handled knives with 4116 krupp stainless blades.......the finn bear, canadian belt knife, and their roach belly.....little utility belt knives that cut really well, for under $15.......

their bushman knives may be the best bang for the buck knives in their whole lineup......sk5 steel, with a one piece design.......very very sturdy, good edge, good steel, it even comes with a decent plastic lined leather sheath......for $20, you can't beat it.......

i may be missing a model here or there, but my point stands that they do offer some decent blades for decent prices........

a lot of their stuff is just plain overpriced junk.......i guess you could even say that the majority of their lineup is overpriced junk........however, there are some diamonds in the rough, which is my point in the first place.....

flame away!!!

You know what ??? no matter how much I dislike CS as a whole, they do offer some of the best stuff (hard use) for under $30.

[OFF TOPIC]
I just personally refuse to buy low end blades and anything made in China. I guess I'm just weird like that..

[I]I remember receiving a few knives as gifts once... cold steel fg tanto , SOG twitch, crkt m16... It all ends the same, broken in half or tossed into a camp fire.. :madaddy:

The crkt got its ass handed it it by a beater Battle Mistress .. :shockedevil::shockedevil::shockedevil:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/UncleJarvis/Picture084.jpg

silenthunterstudios
05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
With the custtoms I've gotten, and the Sebenzas etc that have taken the place of other folders, I've found that the SAK is very underrated for my. I carry a lg regular BG42 Seb, a small reg S30V Seb and a SAK huntsman. I love to play with the Sebs, but that SAK does most of my chores. Everyone loves SAKs, but I have only just begun to discover the true potential of a good SAK.

ghosthellz
05-29-2009, 01:32 PM
i think excaliburs are underrated ive got one in the mail will post my 2 cents when it arrives

hunter s thompson
05-29-2009, 07:56 PM
I think the Kershaw RAM is a very underrated. I takes a very good edge, opens as fast as most autos and a rock solid lock up. I just don't hear anyone talking about this one.

Parker
05-29-2009, 09:02 PM
SAKs. You know, everyone says they suck, but some are actually not that bad. :madaddy:

<ducks>

What :tard: windowlicker says they suck? Very nice edgeholding, lifetime warranty, practical designs unless you as a customer decide you need 497 blades in a pocketknife, and the red handle is easy to find on a workbench, garage floor or campsite.

Oh, I get it - they're not flippers, autos, converted bayonets or some other tactikewl wonderkit, right?

I started my folder evolution to with G2 and zytel spydercos, still find em interesting at times. I always found the QC on the original generations of the Police to be completely hit-or-miss, several with wobbly lockup which I immediately got rid of, but I've had a CoPilot with engraved bone handle for fourteen years and it never got corroded up in my pocket, despite being rained on, sweat on, dribbled on, spilled on and other sundry goo associated with your mid to late 20's.

I also have always liked the CS Voyager folders. Never had one that I broke or fucked up, lots more solid than the competing Spydies available at the time. The straight-edge spydies and voyagers have always served me well.

Tracker
05-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Roger That! I just did'nt want to sound like I'm Ghaey for my Mini Northstar. But once you own one you WILL see the Light! In 52100 or A2 I would trade one of my sisters for it:devil1: I agree, straighten out the handle and it'll be a down right handful, yet discreet. Oh, wait a minute! I JUST bought this knife, it's called a BRKT Mini Montana:decisions

Sounds like a good idea for the eerily silent JD forum knife thread. Straighter handle, the whole beastie downsized a little bit, and there is your perfect EDC...
:viking: :jdedc:
Michael

Tracker
05-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Only people who don't know how to multiply the benefits a SAK offers 'say they suck'. The rest of us who enjoy a sharp thin blade with accessories (within reason) enjoy SAKS VERY MUCH thank you!:devil1:

<ducks>

Parker
05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Only people who don't know how to multiply the benefits a SAK offers 'say they suck'. The rest of us who enjoy a sharp thin blade with accessories (within reason) enjoy SAKS VERY MUCH thank you!:devil1:

I use the bottle opener more than anything else on them.

TKC
05-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Alox SAK rock!!! The Soldier is MY favorite.

robotech
05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Kershaw Vapor for $12.00.
I use mine a lot and I have several GOOD blades.
Including 9 Autos and 5 Assisted folders.
12 Buck 110-111-112's (2 are Autos), Case Mako (1980) and an Italian Falcon (not the cheap falcon brand)
And MANY other fixed blades and pockets.
But the Vapor with a short fob is my around the house blade and I use it a lot. And I have been surprised at how durable it has been.

http://www.durotechs.com/bf/vapor/v1.jpg

Leatherface
05-30-2009, 04:55 PM
underrated??
The Cold Steel machete line....Great value and hold an edge well

Cold steel canadian belt knife...nice little blade for the money

txkaratedude
05-31-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a Camillus Robo-Dominator assisted opener and I think it's a great value. It has Ti handles and S-30v blade the same as Sebenza for 1/3 the price. My Buck Mayo is the same Ti and S-30v and priced similarly. I'm not saying the Sebenza is over-rated(I own one), but it could be cheaper. The Benchmade Skirmish is another good knife velue, especially on the secondary market.

leatherman
05-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Opinel! I saw the name and it hit hard. Yes! Under rated is an understatement. :devil1:

subrosa
05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
I would agree 100% on the SAK.
I personally love SAKS, the larger one handed models are great even if you need a larger blade. I just wish they did a plain edge instead of the serrations. I use my CyberTool 34 every single day.

The lower end sub $50 Kershaw range is great, the Skyline flipper is one of my favorite models, about 30 bucks and US made.

Oh Opinel, have to love em, cheap, useful, don't scare the sheeple. :devil1:

Bobert
06-01-2009, 09:29 PM
The butter knife. No one ever raves about the butter knife.

Mr. Andersson
06-01-2009, 09:30 PM
The butter knife. No one ever raves about the butter knife.

1+

Awesome..!

Parker
06-01-2009, 10:01 PM
While we're on the Cold Steel kick - Carbon V SRK. You can find them even now for $50. Camillus made them from outstanding hi-carbon. They take a LOT of use, came screaming sharp, and if you do not like the handle, shit, just rehandle it!

Fort Henry Custom Knives
06-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I don't think under-rated is the best word but under appreciate is more appropriate in many places when discussing Mora knives. Most coming into the knife community don't even bother to try these knives due to their price but those that stick around and wish to learn usually at least respect the Moras place in the knife world.

I know many who favor the traditional Wooden handled versions but my favorites are the hard plastic handled (and some grippy handled models) from the old Erikkson line up (of couse they are now all one and the same since the merger.

Great knives for an amazing price. I bet I own 10 different models and have gifted at least 3 in the last couple of years.

Mr. Andersson
06-02-2009, 11:05 PM
They are great for toolboxes IMO..
Ive never ever cut myself as bad as I have on "the Swedish plague"..:devil1:

But over here they are in every carpenter/worker pant you see....:bruce:

nyeti
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Another one I forgot is Mike Irie. Boy can that guy grind. I have a Ti and Carbon Fiber push dagger from him that is a work of art.

Mr.LaBella
06-04-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't think under-rated is the best word but under appreciate is more appropriate in many places when discussing Mora knives. Most coming into the knife community don't even bother to try these knives due to their price but those that stick around and wish to learn usually at least respect the Moras place in the knife world.

I know many who favor the traditional Wooden handled versions but my favorites are the hard plastic handled (and some grippy handled models) from the old Erikkson line up (of couse they are now all one and the same since the merger.

Great knives for an amazing price. I bet I own 10 different models and have gifted at least 3 in the last couple of years.

:welcome: to The JD! :cheers:

Mr.LaBella
12-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Another one I forgot is Mike Irie. Boy can that guy grind. I have a Ti and Carbon Fiber push dagger from him that is a work of art.

nyeti- I just saw one in the :fsale: area ;)

:bump:

experimentjon
12-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Box Cutter. I was cutting some very thick heavy-duty cardboard today, and none of my knives cut as well as a regular old boxcutter on the cardboard. None of the grinds or blade steel compositions could compete with the simple old, cheap, disposable boxcutter which went right through it with minimal effort. And it saves the edge on expensive knives too.

Guillermo
12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I use the bottle opener more than anything else on them.

Don't forget a corkscrew. A friend told me to never get a SAK without one. I don't drink much wine but have broke a cork off in a whiskey or tequila bottle and found them handy.

I've had good luck with Bucks for years and newer Kershaw knives lately. They make great gifts and users for under $50. I love prime rib but a burger of the dollar menu at McDonalds is hella good some days.

cornnutt
12-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I love my kershaws, the ener-g2 sharp as hell, lightin' fast and soild lock up.

elusiveweasle
12-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Alox SAK rock!!! The Soldier is MY favorite.

Ive got the SAK Alox Farmer. Never leave home without it.

Cobalt1
12-30-2010, 05:29 AM
I like my cheap Boker- can't remember what I paid for it and it's 440c, but takes an edge like crazy and cuts like no tomorrow.

Antonio_Luiz
01-06-2011, 12:48 AM
http://www.rmurphyknives.com/pix.php?photo=Skinner-ZW-500.jpg

R Murphy's version of the Russell/Grohmann Canadian Belt Knife. Murphy's version is in 1095. I prefer it to the original

Grumpyphil
01-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Laguiole. Preferably large, old and with a corkscrew and belly sticker.

Soup_Monger
01-15-2011, 11:52 AM
I got myself a grey Kershaw Groove at the end of last year... and I have been using it a lot.

It's a very good knife... and I don't see it getting the appreciation it deserves.

Nice work on the design RJ... and a good choice of materials by Kershaw.

:thumbsup:

bigbob68
01-15-2011, 12:07 PM
I got myself a grey Kershaw Groove at the end of last year... and I have been using it a lot.

It's a very good knife... and I don't see it getting the appreciation it deserves.

Nice work on the design RJ... and a good choice of materials by Kershaw.

:thumbsup:

Mine has rust forming on the blade!!! WTF, do you think it has to do with the strations/grooves in the blade? Even my carbon blades don't require as much care as the fray Groove. Soup, do you have this problem? I know it has a lifetime warranty. November of 2007 is when it was made. It started to rust when I carried it but looked great out of the box. I tried to catch photos of the rust spots in question.

Soup_Monger
01-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I've never seen rust on a knife I have owned.... carbon or otherwise... and I don't pamper them. :ropeman:

Did you apply anything to the blade before the rust appeared?... and I mean anything.

Some people have particularly acidic sweat that destroys knives.

bigbob68
01-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I've never seen rust on a knife I have owned.... carbon or otherwise... and I don't pamper them. :ropeman:

Did you apply anything to the blade before the rust appeared?... and I mean anything.

Some people have particularly acidic sweat that destroys knives.

That is just it, I took it out of the box and started to carry it and within the first week of riding in my DRY pocket I noticed this. I quickly wiped it down with some Breakfree CLP and it looked good for a day or so, then the rust came back. :ssad: I have NEVER had a problem with rust before and this is a FIRST.

Soup_Monger
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Sweaty pants? :idunno:

bigbob68
01-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Sweaty pants? :idunno:

C'mon man, my carbon slipjoint look better than this. I dont carry it in my ass crack or near my junk but maybe this particular knife gets me wet! lol

Soup_Monger
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Well... it could be the rough texture of the striations is holding moisture.

Or it could be patina rather than rust.

bigbob68
01-15-2011, 01:19 PM
The striations has to be it. I have an email to KAI to see what they will do about it. I sure hope if they send me one back it has the lock up, blade centering and so on that this one does. Fit and build are top notch for a $30 knife.

Soup_Monger
01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
$30?.. where did you find it at that price?

Let me know how their customer service behaves.

Lugaldamhara
03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
I have many Cold Steel knives... and I mean MANY... I agree most modern ones are over priced and most all are over hyped. A lot of mine are older Carbon V models and for the price they can't be beaten. As for over rated models of CS knives, I have to admit I love my 420 HC versions of the OSS and the UWK. I know 420 HC gets a lot of shit but I chopped down an 8" diameter sweetgum tree with that OSS and it still shaved. They are really not bad at all, especially for the price. Also as mentioned, CS has some lower end stuff that is really efficient as far as price to performance ratio.

As for an overall brand I feel like Kershaw is under-rated.

I have never thought of SAKs as being under-rtated...

flash900
04-02-2011, 11:18 PM
I like my cheap Boker- can't remember what I paid for it and it's 440c, but takes an edge like crazy and cuts like no tomorrow.

That's the Boker Plus Exskelibur. Comes in two flavors, large and small.

Light and thin, its an elegant gentleman's folder.

The Boker Plus line is from China and some have issues.

This one is very high quality with top-drawer fit and finish.

singularity35
04-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I like the Meyerco Wharning. It's $32 plus shipping for me. F&F is quite good for the price point, the 7Cr17 steel is not the greatest at edge holding but is really easy to freaky sharp on the loaded strop. The wharnliff blade is also very useful for package opening, office food prep, and the usual other stuff.